Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

So what's the wax of choice for harsh winters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd buy one, but the fish scaling I've seen on some cars scares me to death.

No doubt, the technique can be done successfully with a little experience, but I'm hesitant to learn and make beginner mistakes on my precious Audi. :-)

For 7 years, I lived with the fish scaling on my black Volkswagen (thanks the wonderful prep work of my dealership, after I told them 5 times "no waxing" before pick-up). I was never able to entirely get rid of it.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just used 1z yesterday.

I was shaking up the container and the cap accidentially lifted loose, therefore spilling the liquid all over my hair, face, and shirt.

I hate using the stuff because it's so "liquidy".
Old 11-20-2006, 07:21 AM

Default yea... Their containers are the suck

but the watery nature of the product is excellant. It does take some getting used to, but on a prepped surface no product is easier to work with.

I have found nothing that goes on & comes off so easily and shines and protects like it does. It drys quick and there is no drama getting it off.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:33 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A random orbital like a porter cable makes it very hard to do that.

But using it with a product like FMJ is a questionable practice. The foam pad will absorb a lot of product, which goes to waste when you wash it out at the end of a detail...and the PC adds nothing to the application of FMJ like it does when used with a polish like Final Polish II. As troy mentions below, and small quantity of FMJ can cover an entire vehicle. I'd guess the amount of product a foam pad can absorb and retain would be enough to cover your car 2 times.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well. This was a VW dealership. If anybody should have one, I would hope they would.

But nothing surprises me today with the general stupidity emanating from some dealerships.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:28 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Wrong.

They used a rotary...which is dangerous in the wrong hands, as you found out. There is virtually no dealer that would carry or use a porter cable, as it can't match the abilities of a rotory.

I think your fear has paralyzed you, and like many others here, you'll eventually reach a point where you'll admit that your paint needs a little help, and you're unwilling to trust another idiot to do the job. Then you'll start reading, learning, and you'll get brave enough to order the tools and products you need to do the job right. And like so many others on this forum, you'll be jumping for joy wondering why the hell you waited so long to do this when there was never really anything to fear.

This entire journey WILL happen, it's just a question of how long it takes. Your prior experience leads me to believe it could be years before you overcome your fear. Hopefully with this dissertation, I've shaved a few years off.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Amen.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Can I get a Halleluiah?
Old 11-20-2006, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default right, there stuff is pretty easy to use and leaves great results...

too bad it's hard to find. It really lasts in salty/snowy climates.

AIO is pretty easy and lasts quite a while too.

I've had 1Z Glanz still bead up 6 months of outside torture in crap weather.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you'd bought a PC, you could've polished that out no problem.

Quick Reply: So what's the wax of choice for harsh winters?