Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Some help/advice would be great here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help/advice would be great here...

I have a 2016 Audi Q5 in blue metallic that I just bought a month ago. Very clean vehicle that I enjoy so far. The hood came with a bunch of scratches from maybe a cat or bird or something. I decided to take this to a body man I have known for 15 years to wet sand out as I was unable to get them out with UC and Fine Cut Cleaner. I tried several times by hand with no luck.

When I picked up the car it looked amazing but the next day in the garage I noticed all his wet sanding marks were showing. So I took it back to him to polish again. He was using a rotary with foam pad and 3M step one compound. He said he was having a really hard time getting his 2000 grit sanding marks out and mentioned how hard the paint was (repaint maybe). He asked if car had a coating on it or something. I don’t know this answer. He polished again and the next day I noticed the spots are coming back again. Also, in the sun I noticed terrible, terrible holograms on the hood and front fenders now. Awful. Actually this is the worst part.

Next day I took to a detail shop to show them everything. They said they can wet sand again and polish out with a DA and make it look great. I also asked about PPF for the hood only and they can do this as well. $150 Canadian for the clean up and paint correction and $500 for the PPF.

Now my concerns are that a lot of clear has come off with the original wet sand and polishing 5 times basically. Now to correct the shop will lightly wet sand again and polish to remove the holograms with a heavy cut compound, etc. I worry about burning through the clear or reducing it to being very weak which is why I may wrap it in PPF to provide more UV protection, etc.

Now I don’t know what to do because I cannot leave it like this. I should have left it alone. I paid the body man $280 to essentially make the hood a lot worse. Now I have to pay another $150 to try and fix and then possibly $500 to PPF it. I could have just repainted it for what I may end up spending.

What should I do here? Continue to have it fixed and leave it? It’s a daily and hits the highway a lot.

Fix it and wrap with PPF?

Just cut loses and paint the hood now? I’m not sure what that would even cost. I’m pretty pissed off now and this is the wife’s car and she’s not happy either after asking me to leave it alone.

Depths:

Walking down the drivers side I get readings of 142 to 252. Passenger side of 139 to 165.

Hood I get numbers from 140 to 187 to 200 in one area. One heavily sanded and polished area I get a 128.

Thanks for all help.