Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

SSR Comps - anyone have problems with clearcoat peeling off polished lip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSR Comps - anyone have problems with clearcoat peeling off polished lip?

Clearcoat is peeling off the polished lip of my wheels so much I can get my fingernail under it. It's happening to all 4 wheels. At $400+ per wheel, these aren't mickeymouse rims.

Bad factory clear coat? Bad wheel cleaner? Any ideas where to take this?

Anyone know how much to re-clearcoat a wheel?

I use TurtleWax Wheel Brite wheel cleaner (doesn't work very good, btw) which claims to be safe (no acid) for all wheel types. The only other cleaner that's touched those wheels was soap that I've washed the entire car with.

Also, I'm pretty sure they came in different batches from Japan. Guy I bought from had 3 in stock and we had to wait a while for the 4th to come in, which would seem to refute that it was just a bad clearcoat run at the factory for a single batch.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-14-2002, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default you didn't wash them when they were hot, did you? ...

I also stay away from all kinds of wheel cleaners. Only use car soap - same one as for washing the rest of the car with.

After 10K miles and multiple washes, the finish on my SSR Integrals is just fine. I've heard of SSR Comps bending easily, but never peeling - you're the first. I'm sorry.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could be a couple of things

You could have a bad clear coat process from the factory. If so, the guy who sold them to you would know.

Could be your wheel cleaner. Wheel Brite has been known to dull some wheel surfaces. Do you or someone else in your home ever take your car to the tunnel wash where they spray a heavy acidic mixture in the winter to help remove road chemicals?

We recommend that you use a mild car wash soap when washing your wheels. Dry your wheels and use WheelWax to seal your clear coat. It sounds like you are in need of some serious help form your wheel manufacturer.

How old are the wheels? Is there any warrantee left or will your wheel guy make them right? I would start there. Send me your address and I will send you a care package to get you through your immediate problem.

Sorry to hear this, $400 wheels shouldn't have any problems with the clear coat.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wheelwax.com">http://www.wheelwax.com</a</li></ul>