Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Strange spots on paint and aluminum trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The first step would be to try a glaze or polish by hand to see if it corrects. If not then a PC or

rotary would be necessary with a stronger polish.

You need a good detailer IMO.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll let the dealership try....

I don't really have the time or material/tools to do all that.

I'll let the dealership have at it and take it from there.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Let us know how it turns out
Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 AM

Try KAIO. Might clean it up.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They tried to get it out.

They tried to buff it out, but it only made it a little less noticeable. There are actually 2 spots on the fender. I also noticed what might be more stains on the rear fender as well. I have to bring it back on Monday so their paint guy can look at it.

As for the aluminum, they think it is overspray from some kind of cleaner that landed on the trim when it was hot. The only time that could of happened is when I was at the car wash. They spray the tires before the car goes through. I can't imagine that would cause damage since it's washed right after, but who knows.

I think it will be covered under warranty. I'll know more on Monday.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are headed down the same road I was. Their paint guy will most likely say it needs to be wet

sanded. As soon as I heard that tried to get it detailed. After the first attempt only lightened it I went to Phil's place and he used a rotatry with some good polish and got it out. No wet sanding needed.

You should ask if they would be willing to pay for a detail of the entire car. Problem is if that does not work they may not want to pay to then wet sand the car.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They took it over 3 times.....

I'll ask about them paying for a detail. Of course they will probably try to say their people are qualified.....

I think they took it over by Enterprise rental. Maybe to their shop, or next to it. He took it over while we waited and then came back pretty quick. The spot was less noticeable, but you could still see it. And there was another stain right next to it. This other stain was more like an outline, but still a stain. He took it over again, but they couldn't get it any better. Then a manager came out and started asking if they used a heat gun on it. I guess they hadn't, so here we go again. I could tell my sales guy was embarrassed by the line of questioning from the manager. They finally concluded that their paint guy has to look at it.

I'm not thrilled with this since I know what ever is next is probably going to be more drastic then I want. Not to mention the traveling back and forth to the dealership which is not that close.

I assume there is no lemon law for paint related issues?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I dont think so but they should and probably will make it right, but the inconvenience is still

gonna be there. As for them going over the stain, I really don't think they have a PC or a rotary to go over it like it needs.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm mostly worried about the paint being compromised.

Any spot that is dug into if you will, is likely losing clear coat. I guess depending on how far down the stain is, but still....
Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup and wet sanding is the harshest. Having a detailer use an orbital with strong pad and polish is

close to wet sanding just not as harsh.

Quick Reply: Strange spots on paint and aluminum trim