Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Stubborn water spots and my sunny solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubborn water spots and my sunny solution

Victim:

2008 Audi S6 Brilliant Black

Crime:

Dealer left car parked outside uncovered for quite a few months while waiting for me to come along and buy it.

My Punishment:

The car has waterspots and some other foreign material, possibly rail dust???

After claying the car the foreign matter is coming off but the water spots are small but holding on strong.

The Tools:

Menzerna Intensive Polish PO 91E
Menzerna PO 106FA

CCS 5.5 inch Yellow Pad
CCS 5.5 inch White Pad
CCS 5.5 inch Black Pad

Porter Cable 7424

The Process that doesnt work:

Wash Car in nice shady area
Full Dry

With car in garage begin with the Menzerna 91 on a yellow pad. Start off at 1 on the PC and then move up to 4/5. After polish breaks down, wipe clean with MF and guess what is still there laughing wildly at me, yes the water spots.

The Process that does work but I would like feedback before I apply it to the entire car:

Wash Car in shady area
Full Dry

Move car into Sun for a 45 minute warmup. Paint is very warm/mildly hot to the touch but not so much that it reaches a pain feeling when touching.

Same polishing process as above in a small section of the stubborn area and the results are to me nothing short of amazing. I have never produced such results in any of the previous dark color Audi's I have owned.

I only did a small section on the rear panel and then followed it up with the 106 and layered a couple very thin coats of Lusso Oro.

I pulled it back into the Sun to look at the results and I was shocked, so much so that I began to think that if its too good to be true there must be a problem with this process.

Just to ensure that I hadn't gain some new ability in handling the PC, I pulled that car back in the garage and allowed the paint to cool totally. Then began to polish very near to the previous test area with an identical process and the results were dismal.

Am I doing something wrong or does the warmer body panel allow the polish to break down in a more effective way?

Is it detrimental to the finish long term to use this method to remove the water spots ?

I tried to capture these results on my Canon SLR but I cannot get the camera setup to reveal what is very obvious in person.

Thanks for your time if you made it this far in reading my post.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds to me like those water spots are deeply etched into the clearcoat...

and IMO a PC isn't the right tool for that kind of correction. Messing around with a "hot" surface while polishing is asking for some trouble.

Now might be a good time to talk to a professional detailer or your dealership regarding correction rather than chance a paint mishap on such a nice vehicle.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Search "acid" for Meem's method.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Agreed, sounds etched.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i might add that recently i actually was successful with griot's glass polish

yes, really. i actually found a griots product that did something. it blew my mind. on this particular car (not mine, and not german), the griots glass polish made short work of water spots that even the acid wouldn't touch.