Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Are there any issues with Rain-X on windsheilds after having used a Claybar on it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any issues with Rain-X on windsheilds after having used a Claybar on it?
Old 03-28-2003, 02:06 PM

Default No, Just don't over do the rain X . A little is good............

A lot is NOT better. I have used it since it came out in the mid 70's or so.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks, I've used Rain-x for 3-4 years but I'm new to the claybar, I just picked...

up the 3m one today.

I also got this sample product called Aquapel, it's like rain-x, but they claimed it lasts 3-4 times longer and that it's water repelling properties were better to.

I might apply it this weekend, if so, I'll report back.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ppgautoglass.com/aquapel/aquapel.htm">Aquapel</a></li></ul>
Old 03-28-2003, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've never used rain-x, but my windshield sheds rain like mad. Clay should be sufficient and

won't have the disadvantages of rain-x.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The issue is "Why?"

I guess you're a Rain-X fan. I tried it and was disappointed. Once it starts breaking down, it's worse than not having it on there it streaks so much. And as others have noted, if you use clay bar, and keep your windshield clean, the glass sheds rain very well without anything on it.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:59 PM

using their washer booster makes it last much longer
Old 03-29-2003, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah, I guess that is part of what I was wondering to..

Like I said I'm new to the claybar and am not sure how it effects the window, out side of it cleaning the contaminants off. I didn't know if it shared any of the water repelancy characteristics of rain-x.

I've heard of others having problems with hazing as far as rain-x goes, but I haven't experienced any of those issues, I do also use teflon wiper blades, so made that effects it in a positive way.

This aquapel stuff has me real curious to.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. good to know.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The claybar isn't going to lay down anything to repel water. But....

....it's going to get the glass so clean, you won't feel the need to use rain-x or anything else. The glass itself with do the repelling. At least that's my experience.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default claybar doesn't remove rainx, or wax. and your window glass already repels water....

if it didn't your windows would function like screens and let rain inside.

really clean glass has a high surface affinity for water. that means the water molecules attach to the glass surface in preference to other water molecules. large amounts of water will "sheet" on the glass surface rather than "bead". when any wax, glass polish, silicon or organic oils are applied to glass, the water molecules now attached to each other moreso than the glass surface so now the water beads...

try a little experiment:
1. completely clean an area of glass (use a real glass stripper like notouch auto glass stripper). you will know the glass is clean when water sheets off and a wet finger "drags" when moved across the dry surface. clean this area again because human oils will also cause glass to bead.
2. apply any auto wax, rainx (i like the castrol product better) and any silicone product to a patch of the cleaned glass. you can mark the treated patches with a crayon or wax candle.
3. wait a day or 2 for the products to fully evaporate and bond. water will bead in these treated areas while sheeting on the rest of the glass.
4. now get your clay bar out and use it just on the areas product was applied---those areas will still bead water, suggesting the original products are still in place...in fact the beading may spread to a larger area as the clay spreads the products.
clean glass is great and replys water fine but glass treated with rainx or castrol is safer in the rain and easier to free of attached grundge...

Quick Reply: Are there any issues with Rain-X on windsheilds after having used a Claybar on it?