Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Touch Up Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch Up Paint Issue

Just a heads up. My local Audi dealer (who sold me my beloved Q7) recommended that I buy my Condor Grey Metallic touch up paint from ExpressPaint.com in Torrance, CA. There were 3 issues with this recommendation:

1) The paint that was sent to me was not Audi paint; it was a "re-creation" of Audi paint.

2) The dealership didn't know that it wasn't Audi paint that they sell

3) The paint didn't match the color of my car, even though the paint code was a match.

The cost was only $20 including shipping - not a big deal. Still, I only buy touch-up paint for my cars from the manufacturer because of the chance that the color won't match or the quality won't measure up. This only reinforces that policy for me.

In all fairness, I should mention that ExpressPaint has offered to ship me a new touch-up pen with the color I wanted free of charge. They're not sure what went wrong, but they did offer to replace it.

However, I asked them about a refund (because I want Audi touch-up paint). They said that their policy is that they don't refund your money unless the paint has not been used. I asked them how I would know that the color is incorrect if I didn't open the paint pen and use it. The decal was correct. They told me that the policy is the policy.

For what it's worth...

Bob
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rec'd ExpressPaint's replacement touch-up pen. Color matched, but changed to a darker shade when clearcoat was applied. Bottom line - don't use them. They'll take your money and send you crap.