Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Troy's review of Adam's Premium Car Care Products...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troy's review of Adam's Premium Car Care Products...

As some of you may know, I recently received a shipment of Adam's in the mail. I took the opportunity to test his stuff on a customer's car. I did a full interior/exterior detail on a Jaspis Green 99.5 A4 Avant this weekend, and here's my review of the products I used.

<b>Car Wash</b> - For those that like suds, it delivers. A little goes a long way, just a quarter-sized drop in my big bucket did the full car AND left enough over for lubing the clay. <b>A</b>

<b>Clay Bar</b> - Since it's a good size bar, I tore it in half. This was still more than I needed. A third, maybe even a quarter would be enough. The clay is very nice, pliable even at the cold temps I was working in (~45*F). I'd compare it favorably against the other two bars I consider worth buying (Clay Magic &amp; Zaino). <b>A+</b>

<b>Carpet &amp; Upholstery Cleaner</b> - This stuff is magic. The carpets in this car had some pretty decent stains &amp; it took them right out with very little product or work. Only the driver's side floor mat looked anything other than brand new when I was done, but how many 7 year-old driver's mats can be cleaned completely? Of all the products I tried, this is the one that most impressed me. <b>A+</b>

<b>Swirl &amp; Haze Remover</b> - I used it both straight &amp; as Adam shows in his video (mixed with Revive Polish). While it works well on minor stuff, it lacks the power to deal with heavier damage. It also flashes too quickly to be used effectively on its own, especially if you're using power tools. This is probably why Adam says to mix it with Revive. Menzerna Intensive is better suited to this kind of work. <b>B</b>

<b>Revive Polish</b> - Somewhat disappointing, this isn't really a polish at all, but a gloss enhancer. So, while I was expecting it to compete with Menzerna Final , it didn't. It needs to have the Swirl &amp; Haze Remover added to have any real power. Why not just make a good light polish? Neither does it add as much gloss nor leave the surface as slick as P21S Gloss-Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. The last complaint I'd have is that it was hell to get out of my white pad. <b>C</b>

<b>Butter Wax</b> - Easy to use and passed my compatibility test (compatible with my methods that is) in that I was able to wax the whole car, then go back to buff off. Depth &amp; gloss were good on Jaspis Green. My only concern with this wax is that I also tried it on a small area of my own hood, and this morning, after a short drive induced condensation on my car, I could see a streaky pattern where I had applied the wax. I'll find out if the Avant owner has the same results, and I'll report later as to the durability. <b>B+ (use)/TBD (longevity)</b>

<b>Detail Spray</b> - Not much to say here. It kept the wax thin when applied to the foam pad as per Adam's instructions. It also cleaned my hood nicely when used in the traditional mode. <b>A-</b>

<b>Metal Polish 1 &amp; 2</b> - Good for metal already in reasonably good shape, or certain kinds of oxidation, but required too much work to attack hard exhaust build-up on stainless tips. Mother's is better in this respect. <b>B-</b>

<b>Leather Conditioner</b> - I'd like to see a dedicated Leather Cleaner in the kit also. The conditioner works well, but personally I think it smells too much like plastic, not enough like leather. I much prefer the smell of Lexol or Zaino. <b>B+</b>

<b>V.R.T.</b> - A very nice product to use, the consistency is juuuuust right. Not too thick, so it goops in the sidewall design, not too thin so it runs all over the wheel. Possibly a little too shiny for some tastes. Great on lowers too. Again, longevity remains for review. <b>A-</b>

<b>In &amp; Out Spray</b> - This is a product like Stoner's Trim Shine, intended for exterior plastics as a fire &amp; forget weapon. It works, but man does it smell horrible. I don't know if it's the propellant (this is Adam's only aerosol product) or the spray itself, but it just about made me ill working in a closed shop. I'd just stick to using V.R.T on any exterior plastics. Personally, I like Stoners much better. <b>D</b>

<b>Microfiber</b> - The MFDT is the same big towel we've all come to know &amp; love. Can't go wrong here. The polishing cloths are nice, but not as plush as the microfibertech or yosteve towels I have. Still, they're not bad. <b>A-</b>

By now you're all asking, "What's the short version?" so here it is:

If you already own quality stuff (Menzerna, P21, Zaino) don't run out &amp; drop big bucks on Adam's. If you need to replace your clay bar, carpet/upholstery cleaner or exterior dressing, I'd wholeheartedly recommend those products as the best of what I tried.

Finally, we get a lot of people here, especially at this time of year, looking for a one-stop HTTP address to get started in car detailing. For these people, Adam's has a great edge. For under $180, you can buy from him everything you need to detail your car top to bottom, inside &amp; out, with the exception of glass cleaner, which we all know is available from Stoners &amp; cheapest at Wal-Mart.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Awesome review, Troy. Keep us posted on the Longevity results.

I've been wanting to try a new carpet cleaner, so I think I'll pick Adam's up from your reccomendation.

Does the clay bar smell as nice as the Z-18?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Completely odorless.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Speaking of longevity, have you retreated your car? If not, how's the slickness? If so, how many...

additional coats? Thoughts on the whole kit?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good work..Thanks!

Gets me thinking...I have been using the Menzerna Quintuplets... IP, FP, FPII, FTG &amp; FMJ.. But I miss the P21s GPEC. And I have two new bottles. Gotta rethink my lineup.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I haven't retreated it yet. If I actually wash it with Z7, it's very slick and smooth still.

I'm planning on doing a teardown and winter prep in a week or so, but I've been *very* happy with the longevity. Especially considering the cross-country drive and the two snow dustings I've had this month.

All in all, I'd reccomend the whole process to everyone. I'm hoping to try the Leather in a Bottle soon and see how it compares to Lexol, but I'll probably stick with the latter.

If you want me to go half and half on my car with the Adam's stuff to compare longevity, feel free to send me some of your samples.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Adam claims his Butter Wax is a mix of carnauba & polymers, but I'd seriously doubt it would

retain its full slickness &amp; protection after 6 months, which is how long your Zaino has lasted so far.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I tend to stick with Menzerna polishes, easy to use and the best results yet
Old 11-27-2005, 12:55 PM

Nice work. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Great Review..

I've been waiting for an unbiased review. Most other threads I've read have truly sounded like an infomercial. I'll be interested to see the longevity of the butter wax.

As you stated, an Adam's kit would probably make a nice xmas present for someone that didn't need a polish.

Quick Reply: Troy's review of Adam's Premium Car Care Products...