Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

TurtleWax Rubbing Compound

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurtleWax Rubbing Compound

I tried some of that stuff today and I noticed no difference whatsoever.

None of the stains, etc. came out. Am I not using it properly?

Or does this particular compound just suck? I couldn't find 3M Rubbing Compound at Kragen or Autozone.

Maybe I'm not doing it properly...

How do you folks apply rubbing compound?
Old 09-01-2002, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You need to explain your problem in more detail. 2 thumbs down for Turtlewax on this forum.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 09-01-2002, 08:55 AM

Default agh Okay need help!

Well, I have these white smear-looking stains on the car that were there from the previous owners.

As well as swirl marks, cloudy oxidation stuff, and light scratches... so I went ahead and got rubbing compound as indicated by a few posters from a while back. But it wasn't until now that I had the opportunity to actually take some time to do it.

I tried the turtlewax rubbing compound and well, those stains are still there. i'm not sure if i'm using the product correctly. i'm applying it to an applicator pad and stroking from front to back, giving it a few minutes to dry, and then wiping it off...

I then proceeded to try Meguire's ScratchX and it worked pretty well to clean up my car though. I would still like to get those stains at
Old 09-01-2002, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try a clay bar on the white marks. For the rest, go with the least invasive solution first. I'm

sure RickM will have lots of good advise.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:40 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

3 thumbs down here (I was born special).
Old 09-03-2002, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Hard to know what those stains are without seeing them....

Since you describe them as "smears", I'm assuming the stains aren't clearcoat that's separating from the pigment, which can happen with an older car that has suffered some heavy scratches. If you can feel them with your fingertips, then they're sitting on top of the paint and should come off with a mild polish or a clay bar. If they're down in the paint, you may need a pro to buff them out (assuming it's possible to do so).

I haven't used polishing compound in many years, since before clearcoat became a standard feature of factory paintjobs. With compound you're basically using an abrasive to grind off a layer of paint. So you don't accomplish very much with it if you just wipe it on, let it dry, and wipe it off. This is not to say that polishing compound is what you needed to use; just that more elbow grease is needed to make it work, <i>assuming</i> it's the right product for the job. It may be that you needed to compound your car if the finish was very heavily oxidized (it's a '94, after all). But I would've tried some milder, nonabrasive products before even considering polishing compound.

This past year I discovered One Grand Special Touch, which is a nonabrasive cleaner/polish. One Grand advertises it as being good to "safely, clean oxidized paint", and as "excellent for removing scratches, water spots, fall out, overspray, key marks near door handles and numerous other surface impurities." Like any other chemical polish you have to put some work into it for best results, but I'd recommend trying it...followed by One Grand Omega Glaze or 3M IHG, then wax. I've used Special Touch to reduce/eliminate minor scratches, remove bird crap etching, remove paint on a bumper that came from another car....all kinds of things like that. I really like it, and it's so mild you can't make a mistake with it. It may not be aggressive enough for your purposes, but if I were you I'd probably start with it and see how it works. Another product in more or less the same category is P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser (GEPC). I've read that for particularly difficult spots, you can mix GEPC with a little P21S Multi-surface Finish Restorer. I've never tried that.

Everyone has their favorite products, so nothing I'm saying here is gospel. Like most people, if I find something that works I tend to stick with it. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2002, 08:54 AM

Default White marks?

If it's a milky white film in the paint it could be water got under the shrink wrap during shipping of the vehical from the factory. If this is the case... clay might take it out and if not a heat lamp will release the moisture from the paint. Where on the car are the marks?
Old 09-03-2002, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Check his sig - the car is a '94.

I kinda doubt there's moisture in the paint from shrinkwrapping that was done 8 years ago. Were they even shrinkwrapping Audis back then?
Old 09-05-2002, 04:42 PM

Hmm thanks Rick