Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Used Meguiar's cordless buffer this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Meguiar's cordless buffer this weekend.

I had a chance to try out Meguiar's cordless buffer this past weekend. The buffer comes with 2 batteries, charger, one yellow Meguiar's foam polishing pad, instructions, and a carrying case. It cost $99.95 before shipping. Meguiar's also gave me a free T-shirt (for orders over $75). This may be a little more than other cordless models and a little less than a PC. Note: per the instructions it is random orbital (website www.meguiars.com doesn't say). Also, it only has one speed setting as opposed to the PC.

I washed and clayed the car first. I then used the buffer with a white polishing pad (www.properautocare.com) to apply Menzerna Final Polish. (Note: The difference between the white PAC pad and Meguiar's yellow pad is the PAC pad is concave as opposed to flat - not sure if this makes any big difference, this is my first time using any type of machine buffer). Anyway, this combo did remove some minor scratch/swirl marks, but more serious defects didn't come out. I may try using a compounding pad and/or Intensive polish next time on the deeper stuff. I put a coat of Blackfire Paint Protection on top of that and the paint was nice and shiny. One fully charged battery was all I needed to do the car, so with the extra battery you should have plenty of time. The batteries take 5 hours to recharge.

I hope this helps. I am new to posting on this forum.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the review...a few thoughts- - >

I had spoken to a rep from Meguires and they said it was not a random orbital, hence my decision to get the PC. In addition, the PC is only $119 from Coastal Tools!

The concave pads are designed to keep the polish/wax from spattering all over. It seems the polish/wax migrates to the center of the pad. You can also keep the mess down by turning the machine on and off with the pad on the surface of the paint.

Last, have you used the Menserna Intensive polish before with a machine? I have never used it, but from others feedback is sounds like it my be a bit aggreessive, especially with the machine. FWIW.

Thanks &amp; keep posting!<ul><li><a href="http://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+mjbk0185ff400940+1043478741" >PC 7424 from Coastal Tools</a></li></ul>
Old 03-12-2003, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Thanks for the review...a few thoughts- - >

At the time I ordered this buffer, I was told it was a random orbital. Also the instructions confirms this. I'm inclined to believe them, but as I said this is my first machine buffer of any kind so I wouldn't know the difference.

I would have gone for the PC, but my car is parked in a garage now that I have a beater car to drive to work, so no power there to use the PC.

I am planning to try the Intensive Polish with this Meguiar's buffer this weekend if the weather holds up on my brother's old honda (don't need anything that serious on my audi yet). Hopefully I will be able to post about it next week.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:43 AM

Default 2nd time using this buffer ...

So this past weekend it was nice here in the northeast, so I was able to clean my brother's honda. The car is 9 years old and parked outside pretty much all that time, so lots of stuff in the paint. I figured I would use the Intensive Polish. First I washed and clayed the car.

I used an orange pad (properautocare.com) with the Meguiar's buffer. It did clean the paint pretty good since the pad was covered with a gray film when I was done. I only went over the car once, however. The website says you can use it several times or until all the defects are removed but I didn't want to abrade away too much. And the buffer only has one speed setting and random orbit motion so that makes it harder to remove defects. So some swirls and scratches were still there. On the other hand, it didn't dull the paint too much either.

After buffing that off with a microfiber towel, I used a white pad (www.properautocare.com) with the buffer to apply Final Polish. This went on really easily compared to the Intensive. Car wasn't that dull after the IP but this still really made it shine. Buffed the FP off and then 2 coats of Blackfire. Can't say car looks brand new, but it's an improvement.