Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride
Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Using detailers vs. wash/wax/etc... on your own

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using detailers vs. wash/wax/etc... on your own

I have been using detailers during the last several years - and have been satisfied with the results.

After reading many of the posts on this forum, I wonder if I should start doing my own detailing; especially after reading about products offered by P21s - but I don't have any of the equipment (orbital buffer etc...).

I have a 2003 2.7T in Lt. Silver Titanium. All I need is to have the exterior washed, clay bar, wax; I can do the rest. One of detailers nearby my home uses Klasse wax. I simply want to ensure it is protected properly.

Do all of you handle your own detailing? or do some go to professional detailers? also - please reply with your comments on detailers vs. handling personally.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do my own detailing, never went to a pro, detail for friends occasionally and get "thank you" gifts.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I can do a better job than any detailer I've ever gone to...truth of the matter is that a detailer

will never care about your car as much as you do. That's why I do it myself. Sure, a detailer will do a job that 90% of the population would be very happy with, I'm (and probably most of us here) are in the other 10% wher good enough isn't the goal. I also wouldn't want to pay a detailer for all the time I think should be devoted to my car, that would be one hefty bill.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Most everyone here is a DIYer, which is why we're here to begin with.

Like 2k2S4 says, I believe I do a better job than any detailer would. Mind you, I don't especially enjoy spending the time and effort that good results require, but I do like standing back and admiring my own work. If you get no personal satisfaction from a job well done in this respect, and you're happy with the results you've been getting, then maybe you should just keep going to a detailer. Me, I prefer not paying someone to do something that I know I'll do better, cheaper.

You can get started with some basic quality supplies. You don't <i>need</i> a random orbital buffer or other expensive equipment. You may decide you want one eventually, but it isn't necessary for getting started. Don't let the expense of the supplies put you off either; for the cost of one professional detailing you can buy everything you'll need, and those products will last you a good long while.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:18 PM

Default went to one once, and never will again

after the crazy winter we had this year my emerald green 90 was looking pretty bad. i figured i'd go to a detailer that my local Audi Dealership uses...how could you go wrong there?

well $125 later, it looked great when i picked it up. one week later, after about 4 straight days of rain, it was covered with a cloudy residue i'm positive was the wax that wasn't quite removed. in some places you could see actual dried wax that was never removed, just not visible when i picked it up. oh yeah, did i also say they must've sprayed my wheels with wheel cleaner because after a week the finish was flaking off between the spokes of all the wheels. i'd have taken it back but i know all they would do is offer to detail it again (better?). this has resolved me to not let other humans touch my car, ever, period.

after lurking here for a few months i've finally invested in the supplies and started the process of cleaning my car up right. i'm not done yet, but i can safely say i haven't spent nearly another $125 and have managed to get the pearlecent glow back to my hood, fenders, and trunk. i'm dreding the doors and rubber trim. but the payoff is worth it.

having said all this, you should give it a try. at worst you'll have spent a fraction of the cost of a detailing, and a few hours. and if you never do it again you can just give the supplies to a friend.

heybiff