Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Using wheel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using wheel cleaner

When I use wheel cleaner (the spray bottle type) is there supposed to be any whiping going on afterwards? Am I just sposed to spray it on and then rinse off with water and thats it? It seems that when I do it I still have to wipe the wheel down with a sponge to get the grime off. Whats the point of using a wheel cleaner if I still have to wipe the wheel off with a sponge to get it clean. Cant I save money by not using wheel cleaner and just use soap, water and a sponge when Im doing washing my car?
Old 11-07-2002, 09:31 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Most are designed to work with a sponge.

If you want a spray and rinse type product, just be aware that you're probably talking about harsh chemicals that could damage your wheels over the short or long term.

Regular soap and water is what I use, however, 2-3 times/year, I give my rims a thorough cleaning, where I WILL use a dedicated wheel cleaner, because it can clean the wheels better than soap and water. I'll follow with a few coats of wax (like you use on the rest of your car), and for the next several months, I only use car wash soap to clean the wheels.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you keep your wheels clean, you really should only have to use wheel cleaner once or twice per...

year. Besides, it strips the wax off. So, if you wax the wheels ever time you wax the car, and wash the car regularly, then the only additional work you may have to do between washings is to use a good quick detailing spray on cool wheels to shine them and keep them clean. I use One Grand Show Off between washings on my wheels.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Most wheel cleaners aren't good for your wheels

Sounds crazy, but most wheel cleaners are bad news for the clear coat on your wheels. A good rule of thumb is "don't use ant cleaner on your wheels that you wouldn't use on the hood of your car". Why? Because they are both clear coated to protect the paint beneath and give better luster. I am with WheelWax and have been to car shows from Barrett Jackson to the hills of Pennsylvania and have seen first hand what wheel cleaners can do to the clear coat on your wheels.

We recommend using the same car wash soap that you wash your car with and nothing harsher. Then dry your wheels with a towel and clean the rest off with WheelWax. WheelWax will take off the rest of the hard brake dust and grime that your car wash soap might miss and leaves a great wax coating for protection in the same step.

WheelWax is available from the Tire Rack and comes with a money back guarantee.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wheelwax.com">http://www.wheelwax.com</a</li></ul>
Old 11-08-2002, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are correct. Most are highly acidic and will ruin the finish. However...

P21S is ph neutral and is approved by most wheel manufacturers.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, and yes.

I've never found a "spray and rinse" wheel cleaner that actually works that way. You still have to rub with a sponge or brush and then rinse it off. As others have already noted, if you're generally keeping your wheels clean you probably won't need anything more than regular car wash soap to clean 'em off. And ordinary car wax (I use Blitz) works fine on the wheels too; no need to spend money on a special "wheel wax", IMO.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:21 AM

Default Give Chomp a try !!

CHOMP! is pH neutral - this means CHOMP is neither corrosive (acid) nor caustic (alkaline). CHOMP relies on a safe cleaning action instead of aggressive chemicals that can cause damage to whatever you're trying to clean.<ul><li><a href="http://www.chompsolutions.com/how.html">http://www.chompsolutions.com/how.html</a</li></ul>