Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Wash my car (first time ever) yesterday, some questions for the experiensed (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wash my car (first time ever) yesterday, some questions for the experiensed (long)...

I used 1/2 cap of P21S Body Conditioner. I took TedK's advice and fill up with 3 gallon of water. It doesn't seem to be very foamy and some tension was felt as i wash (I use a wash mitt) is this normal? could it be my car is just too dirty?

I used the P21S super-absorbing towel to dry. It does absorb but it stick to the surface so hard than I have to put in alot of effort to drag it across the surface to wipe out other water. is this normal? will it scratch my paint?

As it was the first time ever i have wash a car, I was too slow and didn't do a very good job either. Any effective technique?
I can see the water still form bead on the paint, is that mean I don't have to wax it yet?

Here is a warning/advice to those newbes like me. If you gonna use Detailer's choice flannel towel, wash before first use!! As the cotton tend to fall off when it's new. I learn in a painful way. I used it to buff out the SHow OFF spray, and it leave yellow cotton fur all over the surface. so I have to re-wash and dry...

I noticed that the cloth line around the moonroof turned white after I wash and rinse my car. The only way to get rid of it was scratch it with my nail, so the white fur would come off. Is that because I didn't rinse it thoroughtly?

What is the effective area of the One grand show off spray. say one spray can cover X by X area?
My car is covered with pollen again this morning, is it ok to use show off to wipe it clean? will it scratch the paint?

Thank for reading this. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Wash my car (first time ever) yesterday, some questions for the experiensed (long)...

1/2 a cap full for 3 gallons sounds like not enough soap. Not beeing foamy isn't an issue, that's a matter of letting the water splash around as you fill the bucket (hose above water level) more than anything. But I've never used that stuff. I error on the side of too much soap rather than to little. A non gliding mitt would indicate not enough soap, in my book

The P21S towel is similar to an absorber frm what I'm told, and you do have to pull it across the paint a decent amount once it's laying completely flat. I've had no problems with scratches though.

Basic way to wash a car is top to bottom, a section at a time, rinsing after each section. For example, I do my hood/front & rear windshield and rinse. Then do I do my side windshields and A/C pillars, rinse. Then I do hood and trunk, rinse, then each side and rinse. I do a panel at a time on each side, rinising inbetween. Do the lowers last.

THe water spots are just from letting the water air dry and not being towelled/chamois'd off. To combat this, if you can't wash in the shade or work slowly, spray the entire car quickly with the hose every 2 or 3 minutes, and do a final spray before you dry. Work fast when you dry.

The white "fur" of the towel clinging to the sunroof trim is just wha thappens when you use a linty towel on that type of mataerial. It really does on scratch off. It's the nature of the beast. Wash those towels in hot water and dry them MANY MANY times before using them again to de-lint them as much as possible.

I had to do my Viking towels a good 4 times.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few answers... (long)

I usually do the 1/2 cap when I do a weekly wash and the car isn't very dirty. If it has rained or been awhile I'll use a full cap(and I use more for the wheels as well). May just need to experiment a best and see what works for you(hardness of water may be a factor as well).
If the P21S towel is sticking than it is not wet enough. It really needs to be pretty damp to glide over the surface easily. Also, did you wash it thoroughly before use? They're wicked sticky when new. Pulling it across the surface on its own should not scratch the paint but... if there are any particles on the paint then dragging anything across it will scratch. I always eyeball the spot that I'm about to dry to make sure there's nothing there.
I typically hose down the entire car and get everything wet. Then I'll do the top surfaces in this order, roof, hood and trunk/hatch and then rinse those sections thoroughly. Then I'll do the sides(one at a time), back and then the front and rinse everything before moving to the next section. Finally I'll rinse the entire car again trying to sheet off as much water as possible before drying. I usually don't wash in the sun so don't get bad water spots. If you are washing in the sun you may need to dry each section before moving on.
Always prewash all towels before use. This way you get out most of the lint and if there is anything on the surface of the towels it doesn't end up on your car. Never use anything that isn't clean(to begin with) on your car and if you drop anything don't even think about using it again until it is thoroughly cleaned.
With the Show Off(love this stuff) I usually do one panel at a time. So one or two sprays for the door and then work it into the paint with one MF towel and buff out with another MF towel. I get no streaks this way. Also, I only use the Show Off if the car is clean(so after a wash or as a finishing step when waxing). I don't trust it to lubricate the surface well enough to use on a car that has anything on it.
For getting pollen off of the car(or any light dust for that matter) I find the Cali Car Duster works great. I'll use that between washes as long as it is only light dust and also as long as the car has not gotten wet. Once it gets wet forget it, time for a wash.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Generally agree with what has been said before, but let me throw in my two sense...

1/2 cap of P21S car wash seems to work for me, and was recommended. However, as someone pointed out, water hardness can make a difference. I usually put the liquid in the bucket, and then put the hose in, so I get a decent amount of suds. If you're uncomfortable and feel that the water doesn't have enough soap in it, then use more. The only downside is that the more you use the more quickly it will strip away your wax. Having said that, the P21S is ph balanced and should be one of the best in terms of being wax friendly.

As for the towels and buffing cloths, always wash everything for your car before you use it. You'll eliminate lint, but also any contaminents that can get on the towels/cloths during manufacturing and shipping.

As for the lint around the sun roof, that's probably from your towels, and should come off after you wash the car a few more times.

As for the One Grand, I also do one pannel at a time. A couple of pumps on the spray bottle from 12-18 inches away in a sweeping motion should provide enough show off to "mist" the pannel. The hood and roof obviously will take a little more.

As for washing the car, I also do it top to bottom. I start at the roof and windshield, then the hood and front bumper, and then each side, top to bottom. I rinse the sponge thoroughly each time I dip it back in the bucket. Also, I start by thorougly rinsing the entire car with plain water, with a soft stream, not a jet blast. After I wash each pannel (front quarter, driver's door, rear door, then rear quarter, then trunk, etc.), I rinse it off before moving on. I also make certain the car stays completely wet during the process, so I might mist the entire car two or three times to make certain it doesn't start to dry while I'm washing a different area. This way you won't get water spots. I do the wheels last. Then I give the car one last hose off, and dry with a terry cloth towel.

As for the pollen, it will happen. Washing your car can make it worse as you rub the pannels with a towel to dry, which in theory slightly charges the pannels since you create friction when you rub. This will attract some dust and pollen (I don't know if I subscribe to this theory, but I've heard it). Spraying the car down with One Grand after washing may help to prevent this, but I admit, I normally don't due that. I would recommend getting an Original California Car Duster to get the dust and pollen off. You can go over the car with One Grand, and you should be okay. But the car duster works much easier.

Now, advise on the car duster. The strands are coated in parafin wax to help the dust and dirt particles stick to the duster. If you use it on your car straight out of the bag it's shipped in, you'll get these waxy streaks all over your car.

So, after you remove the car duster from the clear plastic bag that it's shipped in, take 4 or 5 sheets of ordinary news paper and wrap them around the car duster. Put it into the black carrying case with the news paper wrapped around and leave it for 5 days without opening it. When you do open it 5 days later, you'll be amazed. The newspaper will be absolutely soaked with liquified parafin wax (really nasty). Throw the paper away and your car duster will be ready to use. Make sure you store it in the black case so it doesn't attract air borne dust and debris while it's not being used. This will prolong it's life.
Old 05-22-2002, 11:35 AM

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Will probably wash agiain this weekend and wax it...
Old 05-23-2002, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Let us know how it goes, and if you can, post some photos of "your work" when it's done.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default some answers...

I have never found P21S shampoo to be very foamy. smells nice, dog likes to lick it up, but it rarely leaves a soap residue.
The drying towel does stick like hell to the paint. get it a little wet, fold it up, and don't be afraid to drag it across the paint.
Your paint is a lot tougher than you think. Pollen and dust can be removed safely using either: a california duster, microfiber towel, or a quick detailing spray with a microfiber.
WAX, WAX, WAX, WAX, WAX - a freshly waxed car cleans up quickly and easily
and now, my best detailing secret:
ALWAYS PARK INSIDE
Old 05-28-2002, 08:56 PM

Default A few more answers...

Hello,

First, P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo is not foamy for a reason. It does NOT mean it does not clean. With less foam, you can rinse your car quicker. Foam does not effect how the car wash soap will work. So, don't worry about it not being foamy.

Secondly, the P21S Drying Towel is excellent. I would recommend that you wash it in the washing machine with your jeans a few times. Fold it back up and put in plastic container. The more you abuse and use it, the better it will work.

And, as everyone has said already, the more you wax the better protected your car will be. Also, try parking inside as often as possible.

Any questions, please email me or call me at 1-800-964-8711.

Note: All AudiWorld members receive the car club discount so make sure you sign up by going to http://www.autodetail.com/carclub.htm

Sincerely,
Melissa
http://www.autodetail.com<ul><li><a href="http://www.autodetail.com">Autodetail.com - The thrill of a clean car starts here.</a></li></ul>