Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Are water bead sizes a good indication of whether you need to re-wax your car (more)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are water bead sizes a good indication of whether you need to re-wax your car (more)...

I've noticed that after I've put on a fresh coat of wax, after the first rainfall the wax gets hit with, the beads are very small and the water slides right off the car. But the next day if it rains again, the beads are no longer small, they progressively get bigger and bigger...does this mean my wax is going away? Thanks for any comments.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Are water bead sizes a good indication of whether you need to re-wax your car (more)...

I've always heard nickel-sized or smaller, but this might've just been pulled out off some guys a$$. I tend to go on ease of cleaning and also how easily detailing spray wipes off. I guess I just have a good sense of when the car needs wax, since I've been detailing cars (1st dad's, now mine) for the better part of 15 years.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If it beads and falls off the car, you've got some wax on there..

A coat of wax should last AT LEAST 2 months. What your seeing is a side product of the freshly waxed car loosing it's silky smoothness which you only get for a few days after waxing, assuming the car hasn't been rained on or gotten all dirty.

Next time you wax, feel the paint, really really really smooth. Come back a few days later, won't be nearly as smooth, but the coat of wax is largely the same.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You need to mist it with the hose, the rain isn't a good indication.

Mist it with the hose, when thye get bigger than dimes, it's time to wax. The time in between waxing varies greatly depending on which wax you're using.

-st
Old 03-25-2002, 09:08 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think bead size is surface tension vs. surface adhesion

Without outside influences, surface tension will form water into a sphere. By contrast, a dirty or oxidized car has an irregular paint surface that works against the water's proclivity to form a sphere. Waxing a car creates a surface allowing hydrostatic tension to be greater than hydrophilic dynamics. In addition to surface dynamics, I hear bead size is affected by water ph, temperature, chemical compounds present, and gravity (but not much of a variable on earth)
Old 03-25-2002, 10:08 PM

Default Bear in mind that your car is also getting layers of dirt and road crud

as the days pass between your car washes. The changes in beading are telling you more about the crud on your car than the state of your wax. The bead observations are only valid right after you wash it.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes. You can also tell by the friction when you run your fingers across the paint. Do it when you

first wax the car, and it should be mirror smooth. As the wax wears off, you should notice it get more difficult. That's when you know to rewax.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:41 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Agreed!