Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

water in car

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in car

ok well i took my car to get washed in one of those things by the gas station where u put in 5 bucks and it does the quick laser wash. well it started to spray the water and then is saw water coming in my car!! it was coming in at the bottom near the peddals on the left top side on the front. near the foot rest i guess u can call it.. and then it went down into the carpet and got the carpet wet. does anyone know wat is going on?
thanks
Old 11-20-2001, 01:44 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Had any stereo work done?

In most cases, the cause is a power line for an amp or tubing for a boost gauge was run through the firewall, and it wasn't sealed properly...allowing passage of water. It's remotely possible that an existing grommet came loose, allowing water to enter the passenger compartment.

Best bet is to get a friend to pour a glass of water on the driver's side of the windshield, while you sit in the car inverted (head in footwell) with a flashlight looking for the point of entry. Once you locate the leak, you can pick up some silicone caulking from a hardware store, and seal it up.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Had any stereo work done?

i had a alarm system put in and coem to think of it they did run the wires from that area thank ill check out as soon as i get time!
Old 11-20-2001, 01:49 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Wait a minute, this is the *detailing* forum...we can't tell you how to fix it, we can just tell you

how to clean it up. Get a good wet/dry vac, and suck out the water. Synthetic chamois like the absorber will also work (just a little more tedious).

If you want to clean it up right, remove the seat and surrounding trim, and lift up the carpet. Dry everything, and leave the carpet lifted for a day or two to let it air dry. When you're satisfied, put everything back together. Most cars have a good bit of insulation and sound deadening material down there. That stuff can absorb and retain water, which is why the wet/dry vac may not be sufficient. I haven't lifted my carpeting, so I have no idea what type of material Audi puts down there. If it does retain any water, that sets the stage for mildew, odors, rusting, and if there are any electrical connections down there, they may prematurely corrode as well.