Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Wenol users: What's the difference between the red, blue and pink?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wenol users: What's the difference between the red, blue and pink?

I was looking at getting the package with all three from Autogeek but I'm wondering if I really need all of them. Seems like the red is an aggressive polish that takes out oxidation and corrosion. The blue sounds like its a less aggressive polish that also leaves some type of seal behind to protect. And the pink appears to be another type of sealant. Are these meant to be used as a 3 step process or do they have overlapping properties? Is the pink safe for the clear coated part of my wheels too?<ul><li><a href="http://www.autogeek.net/wen1000.html">Wenol Package</a></li></ul>
Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wenol...

Wenol has a lot of overlap between the two grades of polish. It depends on what you are working on. If it's for your wheels you want to stick with the Blue. The Red will scratch clearcoats and chrome pretty easily. It's pretty coarse.

I found the Pink sealer overrated. (For the price anyway) It's a solvent based polish which leaves a protective coating. You can clean your wheels with the Red Wenol and wax them and achieve the same results. (A polymer wax will last longer than a carnauba)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So the blue is like a combination cleaner and sealer?

Sounds like you wouldn't recommend the red. So if I went with the blue would I still need to apply a wax over it for protection or does it already leave a protective coating behind. I did notice that the pink is carnauba based so it would probably not last long. Right now I use Menzerna FMJ on the wheels but it doesn't seem to offer much protection on the non-clear coated parts of the wheel. On the center where there is a clear coat, the FMJ lasts about 6 weeks which is pretty good.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes...still need wax for protection after applying Blue.

Use of any polymer based wax will yield longer lasting results. Decent polymers are heat resistant whereas carnaubas are not. Klasse, Zaino, Meguiars #20, are fantastic for wheels (to say nothing for paint), even the cheapie NuFinish in the big honking orange bottle at K-Mart is fine for wheels.