Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What am I doing wrong?

Waxed my new A4 for the first time yesterday with One Grand Blitz Wax. After waxing and buffing the car looked great and it appeared that all of the wax residue was gone. However, after returning from church this morning I noticed that the hood of my car was all streaked up with a hazy wax residue. I went out to rebuff, but it seems like I just can't get it all off. I'm using a couple of 100% cotton, clean (right out the dryer with no fabric softener), old t-shirts for buffing. The car is black so that just adds to the problem. What I'm I doing wrong that could be causing this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-25-2002, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you live? It took me 3 times to get the residue off, but it was super hot

when I put it on. Also, I am sure I used too much
Old 08-25-2002, 11:29 AM

Central Maryland...it was about 83 degrees when i waxed
Old 08-25-2002, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Try washing it with just plain water, drying it again, then buffing with some

One Grand Show Off and microfiber towels
Old 08-25-2002, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It may be what your using to buff..

I've noticed similar problems after I wax on my car which is Santorin. I use 100% cotton terry towels (viking brand) and sometimes I'll get some hazy streaks. If a towel has any hint of wax residue on it, it will just streak around. So I make sure to use a fresh towel and rotate it to a new panel for each section of the car. This usually helps.

The cotton t-shirts I've tried, and didn't like them at all for buffing. It was far worse with this haze effect.

You may want to pick up a Mico Fiber cloth. They will grab better than terry towels or cotton t-shirts for the final buffing.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Seems like it only happens when I wax in hot and humid weather....

I've had it happen on my wife's brilliant black wagon. It only seems to occur in hot and humid weather, and after the car has sat in direct sun. In fact, about 2 weeks ago she and the kids were away for several days, so I detailed her car -- including two coats of Blitz. It looked great when I was done. It sat in the garage for three days thereafter, and no hazing occurred. Still looked great. Yet after the first day she was back and out driving around (and parking in the summer sun), there was haze on the hood. WTF? This clearly was not a case of "excess" wax continuing to dry to a haze, since the car sat for three days in the garage after it was detailed.

All I can figure is that there was moisture (from ambient humid air) trapped in the wax, which caused the hazing once the surface got to a certain temperature. And it was <i>only</i> the hood, which of course gets hotter than any other part of the car. So there must be some termperature threshold where this happens. I've never had it happen at any other time of year, so I conclude that it's a combination of the heat and humidity.

I get rid of it by washing and then buffing while using quick detailer. If the hazing returns (and I've had that happen before too), I hit it with the quick detailer again and buff well. Microfiber cloths work very well for this.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Probably applied too much wax, and then tried buffing with something that doesn't have enough...

texture to remove all the wax. Try using a good micro fiber cloth or a high quality terry cloth towel (my favorite). It may be a little tougher now that it's dried on for a while, but don't get discouraged. It will get better once you learn what products to use (the correct buffing towels) and how much wax to apply (comes with more experience).
Old 08-26-2002, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default same thing happened to me with Blitz, hood only.

Was thinking that I didn't let it dry long enough since it really wasn't that humid when I applied it. I now subscribe to the theory of "apply Blitz, go take a nap" that someone else on here had mentioned
Old 08-27-2002, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

...except I always let it dry a long time. Which makes me think it's humidity (in my case at least).
Old 09-04-2002, 03:21 AM

Default After reading problems with Blitz, i'm never going to use it.........

I have a can of Blitz sitting in my garage and was going to use it after my Maguire's runs out but after reading about the hazing, forget about it I don't need the aggrevation

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong?