Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

What am I doing wrong? A bird is trying to destroy my car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What am I doing wrong? A bird is trying to destroy my car...

I washed my car this weekend and noticed that a spot appeared in my paint where some bird crap had etched it. I clean the bird droppings off as soon as I see it with a super-soft MF towel and quick detail spray, and I'm careful not to rub it in to scratch the paint.

1) Shouldn't the combination of a good detailing routine, plenty of wax, and cleaing the mess right away have saved me?

2) What's the best way to get rid of the etched bird **** mark? I tried clay bar but it didn't work. I have some Menzarna Intensive Polish, will that do it?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deep breaths....

1) Shouldn't the combination of a good detailing routine, plenty of wax, and cleaing the mess right away have saved me?

No, not neccesarily, but it helps. Some bird dookie has loads of bad crap in it that can start killing paint quick. Keep doing what you're doing buy dont think you still cant get screwed.

2) What's the best way to get rid of the etched bird **** mark? I tried clay bar but it didn't work. I have some Menzarna Intensive Polish, will that do it?

One Grand Special Touch works good on etching but IP with a PC should do pretty well. Sometimes it makes many applications to get it right. I usually just continue to hit it weekly after washes till its totally gone
Old 05-01-2006, 09:32 AM

try the least aggressive method first: give Klasse AIO or GEPC a shot, before you use PC
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 AM

GEPC on etched paint? Thats like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 AM

Default most likely his paint is not "truly" etched because he removed them fast

I have had a few occasions where I thought PC is the only solution, but turned out that GEPC worked just fine. I think the bird crap might have etched his wax, causing discoloration in the surrounding area and appeared like an etching.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you think you got problems.... I think the same damn bird gets me every night,when

I go out in the morning for work there is always a pile of bird crap somewhere on my car. I just hose it off until it's gone.Once I see the water drain away completely and there is no residue holding the water in it's spot I just use the microfiber towel to dry the car, and i'm off. It may be because of the wax that if comes off so easy..maybe not, who knows, ..but,yes I am a confirmed bi-monthly carnauba waxer...I know I dont have to wax it that much, but I just do...I have never had any problems with spots being left over... good luck...
Old 05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Good point, may be the wax that got etched so I'll try GEPC 1st and work back as needed.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:54 PM

Default "One Grand Special Touch" polish highly recommended

from advice on this forum, I tracked this stuff down (not stocked at my 2 usual favorite sites) and it worth ordering. Has helped with both bird and egg etching.