Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

What are the differences between the Menzerna glazes/polishes and the 3M ones? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the differences between the Menzerna glazes/polishes and the 3M ones? (Long)

From a long day of searching the archives, I have widely expanded my knowledge on detailing products, and am planning on making a big purchase soon. First, I decided to finally go out and buy a PC. Next, I am trying to figure out which glazes, polishes, and waxes I would like to buy. I already own Menzerna IP, which I have yet to try before. Should I buy the FP to go with it?

I have an 01.5 BB S4, which I do not think has even been polished. Last weekend, I did claybar plus the Klasse twins, but was more than disappointed. It did little to nothing in removing the swirls found on the hood and trunk. So before the summer is over (late August), I am going to do another detail before I store my car for about 4 monthes while I go away. Here is my planned routine:

Dawn
Clay
IP
FP
GEPC
Blitz?

How does this sound? I am wondering what the difference between the 3M products and Menzerna ones are and whether I should alter my routine to be:

Dawn
Clay
3M SMR
3M IHG
GEPC
Blitz?

What do the pros on this board prefer; Menzerna or 3M?

Lastly, I need a wax, preferrably one I could easily apply with a PC. I assume liquid would be my best guess, but what brand for a dark car. I would like something that might hide any other swirls that I missed or that appear as the car gets washed. I am hoping I can get the wax on about every month or so (hopeful thinking though!). So if anyone has any advise that may point me in the right direction, I thank you in advance!
-Kevin
Old 07-08-2006, 06:55 PM

Default umm...

3M vs. Menzerna?

That's a loaded question. Short answer...you can't really go wrong with either of them.

Dawn
Clay
IP
FP
GEPC
Blitz?

...This routine sounds good to me

Dawn
Clay
3M SMR
3M IHG
GEPC
Blitz?

...This sounds good too, however 3M IHG and GEPC are essentially the same thing. Take one of them out and it's Ok.

I might be mistaken, but you already have a wax listed (blitz) but if you're looking for a synthetic? then you have choices ie...klasse, menzerna FMJ etc. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Best advice I can give...try something, if it doesn't work, or doesn't work as well as you expected, then try something else.

Ohh, and I've always been partial to the Menzerna line on my BB A4
Old 07-08-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Ditch the GEPC and replace it with FMJ or Klasse SG x3 (as u already have it) and top with Blitz or

P21s, or Sovereign but u may asell use up the Blitz. Apply sealant and wax by hand IMO.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've read that you cannot use carnuba wax over FMJ - only Klasse

That said, I've seen a few people recommend FMJ and then a layer of carnuba.

What are people's experience with using carnuba over FMJ?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:22 AM

carnauba over synthetic = yes ... synthetic over canauba = no