Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

What is hands down the best Wax for the car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is hands down the best Wax for the car...

I am looking for one answer. There is always a hands down winner in every product, what is the best wax...
Old 05-28-2002, 12:48 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best, hands down, car?

It's not so simple. You have a few qualities with waxes that you want to consider. Ease of application, durability, shine, cost, and for some, smell. What's most important to you?
Old 05-28-2002, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: What's the best, hands down, car?

only thing i care about is shine, cost is not important. Durability is not too important as well, I dont mind it waxing it more often than others. SMELL: not sure if I have ever used a wax that smelt really bad.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default "There is always a hands down winner in every product"? Sez who?

Your thesis is debateable, but since cost and durability are no object for you, get Pinnacle Souveran. $69.95 for 8 oz.

Tell us how you like if after you've used it. No one I know is prepared to pay that for 8 oz. of car wax, but since you're willing, I hope you'll give us a full report. Or...you could pay 1/3 that for twice as much Blitz wax. But that would give you great shine and very good durability at a reasonable price, so you probably don't want that.

What do you intend to do to prep the paint? Wax is for protection; most of the shine comes from what you use <i>before</i> the wax. But I'm sure you already knew that.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: "There is always a hands down winner in every product"? Sez who?

no, I didnt know that most of the shine comes from what you do before that wax, I dont think i sounded cocky in my original message, cause you seem to be sarcastic in your answer. In any case i want shine, yes money doesnt matter, have a 1999 A6 Avant and the paint is not in the best condition, I have always used "mothers" on my other cars and had great results, for some reason i am not having any luck with the audi. So i figure ask the experts.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Make some time to do a top-to-bottom detailing job.

Yeah, my previous response was kinda sarcastic. Sorry for that. Truth be told, your "tell me what the best is, cost is no object" post just rubbed me the wrong way. I also don't believe that there's an indisputable "best" in every product category.

There are many opinons about how to get the best shine. For most of us, cost is a consideration. So is the amount of time one must devote to using a particular product, let alone a whole series of products. And we all have our own routines. For example, I spend 10 -15 minutes using a clay bar twice a year as part of my "major detailing" routine. Someone else here uses a clay bar for a couple <i>hours</i> twice a year. And that's just one step of several. Whatever works for you.

Since it sounds like your car hasn't had a serious detailing since you've owned it, here's what I'd do:
1. Wash it with Dawn to strip the wax.
2. Do the whole car with clay bar to remove surface contaminants and get it perfectly smooth.
3. Use One Grand Special Touch polish where there are scratches and other surface imperfections. Like other non-abrasive polishes, this one chemically cleans and smooths the paint. This is an additional step you can skip if you want to, and maybe you should skip just so you can see what the next step accomplishes on its own.
4. Glaze the whole car. These days I use One Grand Omega Glaze, but many others here use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. They're very similar. Glaze will fill in superficial scratches and add gloss. A few people here add a step after glaze: P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. I haven't tried this yet. Personally I wonder if glaze is even necessary if you use GEPC, but in any event it isn't yet part of my own routine. I may try it next Fall, just to see.

When you've buffed off the glaze, step back and consider how damn good that car looks now, <i>without any wax on it.</i> This is the look you're gonna preserve with wax. If there's anything you don't like about the finish, now's the time to address it.

5. Wax. Carcareonline.com calls Blitz wax their favorite for a "daily driver". They call P21S wax their favorite for a "garage queen". Blitz will last longer. P21S may add more depth of shine. I haven't tried the latter. Many people here use the former. I like it just fine. And because I don't want to have to wax often, I like the durability factor. But I've never felt that I'm compromising shine for durability. Blitz is great. Note: Neither of these costs anything close to what Pinnacle Souveran costs.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:22 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default fyi...I bought pinnacle. Smells great!

I used it once, with their paint cleanser (which is about as easy to work with as 3M IHG). It's good stuff, but no better than the other products you mentioned on your post below.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:23 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Rick's list/suggestions are a very good starting point.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Did you get the Souveran, or the "Paste Glaz" wax?

The properautocare site makes a point of saying how great the "Paste Glaz" wax smells: <i>" It wipes on like butter and buffs off easily with the pleasing aroma of natural oils."</i>

So what does yours smell like? I hope it doesn't smell like WheelWax. That stuff is like Hawaiian Tropic suntan oil.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Make some time to do a top-to-bottom detailing job.

Ok, Thank you for all that info.
I do have a couple of question, you sound like you really kow what you are doing.
- Is it safe to use "dawn" on the car, i would really be worried.
- I have never used clay bar, so please explain that a bit
- the "glaze" that you talked about, is it also a wax and how do i apply it
- and finally from what i understand thw wax is going to preserve what i have done before applyingthe wax, this is very new and surprising to me, as i have always depended on wax to give me shine and looks. I guess i have been thinking and doing it all wrong, i really appriciate your help...
I cant wait for this weekend to get here.

Quick Reply: What is hands down the best Wax for the car...