Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

What should i use to clean the paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i use to clean the paint

on a red F355? I'm looking for something to clean the paint before i use imperial hand glaze to fill in the swirls.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Liquid Dawn dish soap, clay bar if you need it. Search forum if you got the time.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:38 AM

Default Dawn is a DETERGENT!!! Don't use it....

If you want to prepair the paint properly you need a good cleaner/polish to remove any contaminants, and leave a good surface that is "prepaired" for a wax. The best I've found is Klasse All-In-One (AIO). It will remove any previous polishes/waxes and leave a good surface to apply whatever you want next. You can get more information on it at the link provided.<ul><li><a href="http://www.properautocare.com/klasse-usa.html">Klasse</a></li></ul>
Old 08-29-2002, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your wrong buddy. Lots of us use Dawn to strip the car before a major job and 3MIHG does wax prep.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:06 AM

Detergents remove everything, true, including pigment. The name DETERGENT should tell you something.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't need anything. IHG will strip the wax. Then use P21S GEPC after the IHG and wax.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:55 AM

Default NOT QUITE...

There is at least a .0003 thick layer of CLEAR COAT covering any, and all, pigment. DAWN, or any detergent for that matter, can not remove CLEAR COAT and thus can not get to the pigment. Sorry, but DAWN is a staple of the detailing world for a good reason, it strips the CLEAR COAT, not the paint, of all materials which are sitting on top of it...ie wax, dirt, etc...
Old 08-29-2002, 08:50 AM

You do have a point, Brian. My concern is more for the trim.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree with Ted; if you're gonna clay and glaze, then Dawn really isn't necessary.

Those products are gonna strip the wax off anyway, so washing with Dawn is superfluous. Any good car wash will do.

Ted is a big proponent of P21S GEPC, and he appears to get very good results with it, even though we've had a running difference of opinion about whether it should be used before (my view) or after (his view) a glaze like IHG. In any event from everything I've heard about it (haven't used it yet myself!) it sounds like a good cleaner. Personally I've been using clay bar twice a year, which quickly removes surface contaminants. Then for scratches, stubborn water spots, bird crap etching and similar imperfections I use One Grand Special Touch, which cures or at least minimizes a multitude of these kinds of problems. Then One Grand Omega Glaze to fill in and minimize superficial scratches and swirls and add gloss. Then Blitz wax. I'm very happy with the results this routine achieves, but chances are in a year or less I'll change something in the equation just for the sake of change.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:22 PM

Default Don't worry about...I'll clean you F355 for you...

I'll pick it up and return it to you...after I drive it around (sic)

Quick Reply: What should i use to clean the paint