Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Wheel Touchup

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Touchup

I've seen all the posts about spray refinishes of wheels, but they all seem to deal with serious road rash. Is there a touch-up paint product that matches the finish for smaller scratches and chips, similar to what one would buy from Audi for the body of the car? In other words, does Audi sell OEM touch up for the wheels as well as the car itself?

Basically, I don't see any reason to do a Wurth/1Z repair on damage that an OEM touch-up kit and Langka will work on. If my wife hits a curb, it's one thing, but if a rock skips off the wheel (because VDOT uses sand and rocks instead of salt during the winter), that's quite another.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have found...

...VHT Silver Brake Caliper Paint to be an almost exact match to Audi Avus and factory wheels. I have used them for small scratch and large spray touch ups numerous times.

It's available at AutoZone.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Bright Idea?

My essential objection to the spray is that it is overkill on a minor scratch. If I had major damage, I'd either take the time for the NASA method (looks like it gives great results, BTW), or, more likely, pay to refinish the wheel.

Here's my bright idea solution for a minor scratch. Sprayed close enough to a surface (not the wheel, of course), the propellant in spray paint doesn't serve any purpose, and I can create a puddle of Wurth/1Z suitable for use as a touch-up paint supply. I then paint the scratch as I would any other body scratch--using a very fine brush, toothpick, etc. Wait for it to dry, use the Langka to smooth it out, repeat the process with color and clear as necessary, and...

...I should have a good looking, scratch free wheel.

And, if it goes poorly, I've always got the spare in the trunk.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, that works fine. That's what I do for "tiny" stuff.