Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

when using p21s wheel cleaner should i scrub my wheels with soap first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when using p21s wheel cleaner should i scrub my wheels with soap first?

i have some serious brake dust on my wheels and just got the p21s wash kit...should i wash them like regular and then use the cleaner? i dont see the point of that but i think it would do a better job than using the wheel cleaner....
Old 07-29-2004, 02:24 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If you have serious brake dust, P21S might not cut it.

It's a mild wheel cleaner, especially the stuff in the kit. Spray it on a dry wheel, and let it sit for 15-30 minutes (or however long you see fit). Then wash the wheel.

If that doesn't do it, go to your local auto parts store and pick up meguiares hot rims wheels cleaner. Spray on a DRY wheel, let is sit 15 seconds on a clean wheel, or 30sec-1min on a really bad wheel. Then hose it off liberally with a sharp stream of water. Finally, just run your hand over the wheel (using a soft stream of water) just to make sure you've rinsed away all the wheel cleaner.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:12 PM

Default I've been using P21S and Sonax for many, many years

they do a fine job, but it's not quite as described on the label.

Here's my procedure: hose down the wheels thoroughly to get the easy brake dust off (and there will be a lot!). Spray on the P21S, 3 or 4 squirts per wheel. Go back to the first one you squirted and, using a different sponge and bucket than you use on the car, rub each wheel down. That no-touch, rinse-away is total BS, you still need to use a sponge. I would also recommend wearing a glove, because brake dust seems to be immediately attracted to the fingernails.

After you've done all the wheels, fire up the hose again and hose them all down again thoroughly. Then take your damp sponge and sponge dry.

Writing this down makes it seem like a ton of work, but it's no harder than washing the rest of the car. Then make sure you use something on the tires like MSLT for Tires. And there is NOTHING you can do re: detailing that will make more of a difference than clean wheels and tires.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you wax your wheels you won't have that problem.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:36 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I've used both...P21S for a few years now.

The no touch spray (specifically the one I recommended) is remarkably effective, and endorsed by BBS. A local friend put me onto it, and he's been using it on his factory rims for 3 years now...no issues with clearcoat dulling or peeling at all. His wheels are just as clean as my "babied, waxed, and hand washed with P21S only wheels". He just spends a lot less time fussing with his wheels than I do.

Another friend began using them on his BBS wheels, and there seems to be a reduction in brake dust accumulation on his wheels as well. A significant reduction. Meguaires makes no mention of this effect, but that's what we've seen.