Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Will any of these hurt my paint?..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will any of these hurt my paint?..

1) ammonia
2) vinegar
3) isopropyl alcohol

Going to make my own windshield washer fluid. Gets expensive when you're buying a gallon or two every so often. Found some "recipes," different ones call for these ingredients, so I was going to experiment.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stick with the alcohol. Ammonia, might as well pee on your car. Vinegar, it dissolves mineral

deposits, I imagine it will do bad things to your clearcoat after awhile.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:45 AM

Default Don't be such a Dufus !!.....Windshield Washer Fluid isn't that expensive

Not worth the risk of f@ckin up the clear coat anyways !!(How can you Drive an audi and be so stingy as to save a few pennies on washer fluid?)
Old 11-17-2002, 09:10 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would tell you to search the archives...

but apparently the Audiworld gods have "deleted" some archived posts (or we just can't access them).

I did a search on "Washer Fluid Recipe". There used to be a post in the archives, where somebody broke down the recipe for Audi's factory washer fluid (that nasty stuff that cuts through almost anything). It definitely had a strong alcohol content, and when used full strength, it could work down to -10 degrees. I'm not sure if Isopropyl or Methanol was used? Even if it was Isopropyl, you'll want to order the stuff from a chemical supply house, not from your local pharmacy (at the pharmacy its diluted and expensive, compared to what you'll get at the chemical supply house).
Old 11-17-2002, 12:20 PM

Default In the wrong quantities they will.

Stick with the store bought washer fluid. That way if it does hurt your paint you have someone to go after. I don't follow the risk reward formula for saving a couple bucks over the winter and taking a chance with your paint which may cost more than a few bucks to fix next spring.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:19 PM

Default What about petroleum based wax?

I got this spray wax stuff and it says it contains petroleum distillates. My brother says it would be ok to use on my 96 A4 as it has some oxidation on it. Is this ok to use? The car does not look like it has been waxed before it got to me.
I am new here. sorry if this was covered before.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now come on....

You just got this car, it looks like it hasn't been waxed in 5 or 6 years, and you're gonna use a <i>spray wax</i> on it? No you aren't.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much washer fluid can you really be using? It's not that expensive.

I hardly ever use washer fluid, except in winter when there's so much crap mixed in with the road spray. But even then, what's it cost? I would no more consider mixing my own washer fluid than I would making my own soap.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Jeeze, how much are you paying for wiper fluid?

That stuff is like $.80 a gallon around here. Way cheaper than gas.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Most waxes have some petroleum in them

Including even good stuff like Meguiar's Gold Class. But if it hasn't been waxed ever, it needs a LOT more TLC than a coat of wax.

Quick Reply: Will any of these hurt my paint?..