Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Winter Clean-Up, Audi allroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Clean-Up, Audi allroad

So I recently took a trip to FL in the wife's 2005 Audi allroad. I figured I would role in style and comfort in her car with newly acquired 18" RS6 reps from Hartmann(thanks Skyler). Unfortunately, the ride was not that great I contemplated selling the car the whole way, but that's a different story. One that will have me under the car checking drive shafts, CV Joints, brakes and Tie-rod ends.

However, one of my goals for the trip was to get the WINTER out of the car. This was going to include de-salting the upholstery, vacuuming the snackfood(mousefood) from under the seat, and getting a fresh coat of wax on the car. So, I packed the car with my cleaning kit and asked Phil from Detailersdomain.com to send the rest of the tools I would need to my parents house in FL. PS - thanks Phil.

And since Phil is the resident guru on detailing, I will try to post via his style. TO start, here is the list of detailing products I used. Note, I know the pics don't compare.

Inside:
Bissell Turbo Heat Pro Carpet Cleaner
Bissell Carpet cleaning 3X concentrate
1Z Einszett Klima-Care AC cleaner
1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium
1Z Einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care + Protectant (I like a little gloss)
1Z Einszett Leather Care
Stoner's Glass Spray

Outside:
Griots Garage Random Orbital Polisher
Gilmour Foam Gun
Meguirs Car Wash
1Z Einszett Paint Polish Lack Politur
1Z Einszett Glans Wax
Adams Detail Spray
Adams Claybar
Black Magic Tire Spray (I like gloss)
Lots of Microfiber towels
2 Wash Mits
Stoner's Glass Spray

INSIDE:
After a winter in VT back and forth to Sugarbush Resort, the carpets take a beating. I have the ar winter mats but inevitably the goop and salt flows over. You get a ton of white road salt built up in the corner of the foot rest. First step was to vacuum. I used my dad's Rigid Vacuum to do the dirty work. I work all over the car using the brush attachment for the dash and leather. I then turned the vacuum to the carpets and door jams. I wanted to vacuum up as much sand and alt as possible before I wiped them out. The vacuum worked well and I was able to get up all the popcorn and snacks that the wife enjoys. If you recall from a previous post, 2 mice were killed with traps in this car. I also found a great place to check for varmints. UNDER the battery box! Found a nest while changing out the battery and cleaning out the drains. Hopefully thats the last of them.

The INFAMOUS Drains. Just hit it the hose!!

PSA - eating 6 Krystal Burgers(steamers) for breakfast is not a good idea. My friend ate the other 6. We ordered the 12 Burger "Sack Pack". I still feel dirty.

Here is the Bissell and the Rigid Power tools I recruited for the job.

I had to call in a small scrub brush to really get at the salt stains. The Bissell could not get a good angle at them.

AFTER:

The inside was simply a combo of 1Z Einszett Cockpit Cleaner and the 1Z Einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care + Protectant. Big Kudos to the 1z Einsett Klima-Cleaner. Half a can in the center vents of the C5 allroad, 20 minutes of waiting, and a very neutral fresh scent. So good I took the Snuggles fabric softener out of my cabin filter! 1.5 weeks later and the car still smells fresh.

OUTSIDE/ENGINE:
Prior to my trip I did a lot of maintenance on the whip. I put in a new cabin filter, air filter, performed an oil change and changed out the battery.

LOVE THIS THING!

Oh, I also got new summer wheels from Skyler at Hartmann wheels so I put those on the for the big trip. Here is a pick with some Griots paint sealant.

It gave me a chance to take a good look at the engine bay and do some detailing. I used a dilute concentration of Simple Green sprayed around the bay to degrease the engine. I then hit it up with Einszett Rubber and Vinyl cleaner to clean the hard plastic and rubber areas. I finished the clean with a light mist of water and made it look pretty with 1Z Einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care + Protectant.

ENGINE BEFORE:

ENGINE AFTER:

This was my first go at the Gilmour Foam Gun. I was pretty excited to use it. I am happy with the quantity of soap that sticks to the car. It makes it very consistent across the board which is a good thing. Here's DAD doing the EZ work, I had to scrub. I think with a little added pressure, I can get a stickier consistency of foam. I have CAM Spray envy!

The ar was then clayed using Adams detailing spray and clay. A lot of stuff came up on the clay bar. As a testament to how well the clay works, I forgot to do the trunk. When the car was then polished and then waxed, the paint still felt rough where I did not clay. I say, CLAY BAR every time!

I followed it up with a good polishing using my Griots polisher and 1Z Einszett Paint Polish Lack Politur. I was tentative at first but easily worked up to a higher speed. I wish I had taken some pics of some water spots in the clear coat that I tried to get out. I was not aggressive and did not make them fully disappear but I am sure I will with more experience and pressure. The polisher worked well, and I was very happy with how easy the process was. All polish was removed with Adam's Detailer and Micro Fibers.

I then finisher her up with my favorite, 1Z Einszett Glanz Wax, by hand. It is so easy to apply and remove. And like the product says...once your done, put in sun, and wipe again. I was able to take care of all wax spots with one pass.

I applied some Glanz Wax to the rims and shined the tires with Black Magic.

Here some humble shots of the finished allroad. I know I am no Phil, but I loved putting this forums advice to use alongside Phil's products! Thanks for reading.

FINISHED PRODUCT:

Polished Tips

Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Former Vendor

nice work thanks for sharing!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You best be explaining those Fuch's I see in the background!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can you give some info on the power extractor? what brand, where did u get it?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Father in Laws 75 or 76 911 Targa. It pains me to see it on jacks. He got it from a friend and has never run it. I guess it is of model year that has notorious oil leaks due to a soft magnesium block...or something. It needs some work. It has been on jack stands ever since he got it.

I wish there was something unpure like a crate 5.0L engine that I could throw in it, add some modern brakes and coil overs and get her out on the road!

BB
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Available at West Marine. Similar models are available online.

This one is of higher capacity and less expensive.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66377

This one is pneumatic and attaches to brakes.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66378

It takes a little time to get all the fluid thru the dip stick (about 30minutes) but it was a great time to do other things while it was draining. It was way cooler than fussing with the bottom pan. Some would argue that you do not drain contaminants when done this way but come on! I got it because I have the 4.2 with the oil filter on top.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am seeking something like this for the same reasons.
to use it for every other oil change; with less of headache perhaps i will change it more often. Taking off the noise insulators is a small PITA.
And sometimes you are just to busy, i would like to set it up have it drain my tank and then fill it in the morning.

Also to do a brake flush alone makes this item a should have.
Of course this is only my humble opinion.

Thanks for the links, much appreciated.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Although, if you came out to a garage floor full of oil, or a pump that failed, it would set you back a few minutes!

I would do it all at once. Its only 30 minutes.

BB
Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 PM

You have a great trip. I believe that you love making the faraway trips like that. I wish that I could make some trips with my own car to some interesting places. And I could do many activities outdoor, it's so great.