Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Wiping car off after rain or dew

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiping car off after rain or dew

I have a Silver 2.7T now and I am about to order an "03 Ming Blue. The car is outside for the weekends from May til November. It has been my practice to get up early and wipe off the dew or rain with a California wiper blade and a synthetic Griots chamois. The car is usually washed Fridays so it's pretty clean. Will I be taking a chance of putting swirl marks in the dark blue using this procedure. I don't like the water drying on the car but I certainly don't want to scratch it. What do you suggest?
Thanks
Old 12-11-2002, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I wouldn't use the Calif. Water Blade on a dark car if it's not just washed.

There's always a possibility that even the slightest amount of dust is enough to scratch the paint.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If the car has been outside, even not driven, it's collected dust, or if windy

maybe even worse (blowing sand, pollen, etc. depending on where you live). I always say that unless you've just washed your car, you should resist the temptation to dry it. Rain, being much more pure than tap water, will spot considerably less than if you left your car to dry in the sun after a wash. It will spot some, yes, but I'd rather spot clean some water spots with vinegar than to swirl my whole car up drying the water off.

That's my $.02.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Technically you might, but the water could cause it's own problems if left to dry...

so, I'd recommend wiping it down with a terry towel, but spraying it first with One Grand Show Off detailing spray. Then, if you do get some scratches, you can detail the car several times per year and get rid of them.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ouch, I don't know Ted, I'd rather deal with a couple of potential water spots than have my whole

car swirled to hell. Detailing spray or no, without a good rinsing, doing what you suggest is just going to drag whatever is on the paint around and around. I've tried the quick-detailer car wash before and I was very sorry I'd done so.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I dunno...whatever the water does to the appearance will be temporary. Scratches won't be.

I like a clean car as much as the next guy, but risking swirls and scratches in order to avoid some temporary water spots seems like a strange inversion of priorities. I'd say don't obssess about whatever spots might be caused by morning dew, and just live with it.

<i>Having said that,</i>, if morning dew and the resulting water spots would really bother you, don't go out with a towel every morning to wipe the car down; go out with a hose and rinse the whole car off first, then wipe it down. Wash first if there's anything more than just light dust. If you're gonna be obsessive, ya might as well do it right. :-p
Old 12-16-2002, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't know about that water blade...

..especially if you don't use it correctly. I don't care what the ad says, pretty sure it will leave fine swirls and streaks/scratched in your paint if you chatter it across your paint. Your best bet is to by a Big Blue MF Towel or any high quality waffle weave MF towel used for drying. You will be amazed at how fast you will be able to dry your car, and won't have to worry one bit about scratches.

For all the best products check out -<ul><li><a href="http://www.properautocare.com">Classic Motoring Accessories</a></li></ul>
Old 12-16-2002, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hogwash, I've used my CWB for almost 2 years with no ill effects.

Silicone alone cannot scratch the paint, so only a poor wash job will let the CWB scratch the paint, as will be the case with the BBT or anything else you drag around to dry with. Only a leaf blower will avoid this.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Absolutely not. Been using one for 2 years on brilliant black without a problem.

The blade is silicone. Very soft. <i>Totally</i> nonabrasive. If you think it will cause swirls and scratches, all this tells me is that you haven't used one.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hard water stains can be permanent. Have a harder time getting them off my wife's car than swirls.