Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

wtf is the problem with dealership paint shops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default wtf is the problem with dealership paint shops?

I'll tell the~whole~story. My flat red 2007 Accord was delivered with scratched-*** paint, after I told them not to wax it, just a light wash, yada yada. Hood immediately starts disintergrating from stone chips. Tiny chips the size of a (.) means that friggin grins of sand are sufficient to chip it. No love from Honda USA so I bought a nice CF hood to replace it.
I also had a chronic spot of peeling paint behind the headlamp housing, their touch-up would not adhere, so it went in for a dealer spray of the fender. I explained how bad the delivery was and said not to buff, wax, polish, wash or whatever ANY other panels of the car. Out comes the car with sweeping swirls, the whole side where the fender was painted starting at the 1/4....really bad strait across the panel over top of the normal random scratches. Door had a whole line an inch by a foot where the buffer was bounced along the crease.

So, the shop was defensive, of course. Not realizing the paint is so ****ty that a decent dry towel scratches the **** out of it, the 20-somehting morons at the shop basicly dry washed the side of the car and hit it with the buffer near the painted fender. The offered to "hand glaze" just that side. I know that pro glaze is pretty awesome, but I want the damage polished out, not covered-up with glaze that will wash off in a week. How should I procede and what should I say and do to insure the paint gets corrected? btw, it was a cloudy day at the shop, it was hard for them to see how bad the giant swirl was, even with his stupid "paint light" on...should'nt that be used in the dark anyway?

So, yeah, I'm pissed. I kind of want my regular shop to buff it out and just pay them, at least I trust them.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's far more work to convince a moron that you know how to do a job better than he does.

I say go to the guy you trust and pay. Nobody is going to pay you for the time and aggravation you're going to go through to get the paint right, and in the end, I suspect they just don't know how. The alternative is actually cheaper when you factor your time into it.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

don't forget, shaved gorillas with minimum skilz get paid minimum wage.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm still pissed but think I'll let them do the bad side.Then redo whole car now & pay in spring
Old 10-29-2008, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I even went over the whole car when dropping it off. Everything was "totally" cool.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I got some pro glaze from the dealer paint shop, that stuff rocks. I'll polish it DIY glaze + wax.