Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Zaino question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino question

I Zaino'ed my car about 8 weeks ago. Gave it two coats. Came out great and really liked the slickness of the paint surface and its ability to reject dirt, bird poop, etc. I've been hitting it with their Z6 detail spray after washings - practically on a weekly basis, but the original slickness in the first few weeks after applying the Zaino has worn off a bit. It's still pretty good, but just not as super-slick as after the first application.

My question: I'd like to get the finish back up to the feel it had after my first Zaino application. At this point, do I need to redo the whole strip, clay, re-wash, re-apply process, or can I just drop another application (or two)of Zaino over what remains? I would probably re-clay a few spots that seem to have picked up some stubborn dirt (e.g., rocker panels, areas behind wheels), but do nothing to the rest of the car except wash and dry it thoroughly, of course. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You can top with an occasional coat of Zaino regularly.

Out of curiosity, what kind of prep work did you do with Zaino and how did you apply it the first time? Did you use ZFX, and which Zaino did you use?

As far as their QD is concerned, I've found that Z6 will only marginally improve slickness compared to Z8. I've since switched to a Z6/Z8/Water blend (in equal parts) myself to stretch Z8 a little and it works perfectly for me.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You can top with an occasional coat of Zaino regularly.

Car is brand new, so I followed this process:

1. wash (Dawn original liquid)
2. dry with Absorber imitation chamois
3. clay select areas like the hood. roof and horizontal bumper surfaces, using Zaino Z18 clay and Zaino's carwash w/water in a spray bottle as lubricant
4. Rewash w/light dose of Zaino car wash; dry with Absorber imitation chamois
5. apply 2 coats of Z2 activated w/ZFX accelerant. I'm pretty sure I applied a coat of Z6 in between coats of Z2.

Results were outstanding. Particularly nice thing about Zaino is that it seemingly works on all types of surfaces, glass, plastic, etc., and does not leave residue on rubber trim or seals. I used it on the rims too, but it does not seem to be helping all that much with brake dust release.

The Z6 is quirky - it does not have a predictable/intuitive feel when applying and wiping off, and sometimes it does not seem to be adding much in the way of additional shine or finish. I preferred the feel and application process of the Meguiar's Quik Detailer product, but have not used it after applying Zaino. Maybe I'll try the cocktail you made with Z6 Z8 & water. Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

How long do you envision a bottle of Z8 lasting if Z6 lasted for a year?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree about Z6 . .

If the finish is already well prepared and looking wet/deep then Z6 doesn't seem to do much. Z8 is definately better, once it sets up it adds back slickness and to me seems to improve shine a bit too.

Tip on the drying; get yourself a couple of good waffle weave microfiber towels. You won't regret it. IMO those absorber things are okay in terms of absorbancy but waffle weaves have the added advantage of having pockets in which stray dust/dirt can go instead of being dragged around on the paint surface under the absorber towel.

What I do is use two large ones. I quickly run the first over the car without wringing it out once. I then go over it with the second towel to get what's left behind.

Lastly, I apply Z8 very sparingly by misting down a panel at a time and using a microfiber towel folded in quarters to spread (flip to dry side to buff, repeat on next panel).

I do this after EVERY wash. Doing so greatly extends the life of Zaino IMO. Z6 seems to do little or nothing to extend, Z8 does. I notice it both in slickness and in beading. This is the only use I have for Z6/Z8, for clay lubricant I use Meg's QD spray. I am not a believer in using QD sprays for anything but after wash streak removal or clay lubricant. Using QD for between wash cleaning is just asking for swirls IMO.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default as of last weekend my favorite is the Adams BSG...and as for reapplying zaino I find that a good

claying is all that's needed to add another coat. Do not strip it all away. I mostly clay to ensure all the contaminates are removed and they will 1) not be trapped between layers and 2) contaminates are not rubbed around in the applicaion process and thus scratching the finish.