Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Zaino'd for the first time today. Slighlty streaky. Used ZFX super duper dry fast mix with 10 drops

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino'd for the first time today. Slighlty streaky. Used ZFX super duper dry fast mix with 10 drops

per 2oz. I only let it dry 40 mins because it was getting dark.

70degrees low SoCal humidity.

Even the Z6 after stray stuff made it hard to get off. Did i just not wait long enough?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm guessing you put it on too thick. How many coats did you get out of that 2 ounces?

On my A6 I can get nearly 3 coats out of 2 ounces.

The key to Zaino is thin . . very thin . . where you can barely tell you put it on . . After all, the goal is a microscopic thin layer of protection so putting it on thick serves little purpose but to waste product and added effort of removal. It's probably much easier to apply on darker vehicles where you can easily see how thin you're putting it down.

I was skeptical the first time I used it, but if you follow directions and learn to apply it correctly (the hardest part is following directions, not the application) in very thin coats it works great. It took some time for me to get out of the habit of putting on thick coats. I was so used to carnuba which is usually not impossible to get off when applied thick. With synthetics though, it's easy to get streaks and have difficulty removing thick uneven coats.

Also, how did you prep the car before putting the Zaino on?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Same. 2oz should be alllllmost 3 coats on an A6 & a solid 3 on an A4.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 AM

Default I used about half the 2oz bottle on one coat and my wheels.

to prep i washed with dawn and dried with 100% cotton made in the USA towels.

I did notice that even after using dawn i had a lot of beading. The car is brand new so maybe they had a strong coat of sealent on there allready which caused the beading?

I tried to use dime sizes, but sometimes it felt like i was rubbing a dry terry cloth on the car because i had so little product.

Did i use to much?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Initially you need to use a good bit...

As you noted, the pad feels dry. Spray with their detailing spray to keep the pad wet, and you'll use more product initially, just because the applicator will soak it up. Once it's loaded up, you'll just add nickel sized drops every now and again to keep enough product on the pad.

My bet is your issues had something to do with the previous layer of stuff that was on the paint. While Zaino claims dawn should be sufficient, I'm betting it is not, because a friend had a similar problem, which eventually went away with subsequent applications of Zaino.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 AM

so should i strip it again or just throw on my Zaino coats next weekend?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:47 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would start from scratch.

Find a good polish, strip the wax and Zaino off the paint, and lay down the Z2 on bare paint. If it still gives you trouble, just keep going, and the next applicaton should go easier.

If the paint were truly clean, I see no reason why Zaino would be problematic. I suspect my friend had better results the second time around because there was Zaino already on the paint, and it just behaved better. The issue is...if Zaino isn't laid onto bare paint, it's durability is compromised. So in a perfect world you want the paint bare and clean before applying the Zaino.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 2nd everything RKA is saying.

I've had no issues with Zaino but right from the start due to the condition of my paint at the time I did a full multiple pass polish job. I'm not saying multiple passes are necessary, I'm just in agreement that polishing is a better way to ensure the paint is properly prepped.

From experience I've found that Menzerna's intensive polish and final polish ii work well with Zaino. I can't speak for others personally.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:15 PM

is 3M Imperial hand glaze still considered good? I have half a bottle of that laying around
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Haven't used that myself so I'm unfamiliar. The term glaze though leads me to believe it will ...

leave something behind. That being the case I'd say no to that being put on prior to Zaino.

Quick Reply: Zaino'd for the first time today. Slighlty streaky. Used ZFX super duper dry fast mix with 10 drops