Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

ABS problem-HELP!! Where are the matches???(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS problem-HELP!! Where are the matches???(Long)

O.K. I've replaced just about everthing now when it comes to brakes on my '98 A6 Quattro and I still don't have them!! Had a problem with mushy brakes after replacing a broken caliper last year. Replaced all four rotors, & brakes at the same time. Had the brakes pressure bled. Still mushy. One import mechanic suggested a new master cylinder-O.K. I don't have time to work on it-he puts it on. Absolutely no brakes then. Well, he says the pump might be bad because there's some fluid laying on top and in the "dimple" on top. I ordered a rebuilt one and put it on myself since he wanted around $800 to try that after he put a master cylinder on it for $400. Bled the brakes myself and had very good brakes until the next week when I had to stop hard. Mushy brakes again. Fluid on top of the new pump again. At this point, I doubt my abilities and the guy I had taken it to in the first place and I take it to a "highly recommended" Import Auto mechanic. He looks it over and says that the first guy put the wrong master cylinder on it and I give him the O.K. to put another on. $300 more. Brakes work fine for two days. Go to stop hard-pedal goes to floor, mushy brakes, fluid on top of pump. I'm driving a reconstructed '95 F-150 with 160,000 miles on it back and forth to school because my German ride doesn't have brakes. I asked for matches because I'm not sinking another dime into the thing unless I have some idea of what's going on. I'd rather rather drink beer and roast weenies over it's burning carcass first!!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did you use Vag com to purge ABS pump

Did you use Vag com to purge the ABS pump? If you replace the ABS pump you need to use a Vag-com to cycle the ABS pump to purge the air.

A hard stop could active the ABS pump and draw air further into the pump and cause problems.