Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

anyone experience alcon brake shudder at low speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone experience alcon brake shudder at low speeds?

I have the stasis 13" kit and either this just started happening or something triggered it to start.

It seems to only happen when going slowly ... ~ 15 mph and doing an abrupt stop, like quick hit of the brakes (example light just turned red, and you're slowly accelerating across the intersection and someone makes a right in front of you from some driveway.

it'll feel like the car is skipping, like the calipers vibrating at some harmonic or perhaps anti-lock brakes?

otherwise the brakes of phenomenal.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what pads do you have?

any brakes can do this, and in my experience it happens when the pad overheats and leaves deposits on the rotor.

in some cases I think this type of problem could be the result of uneven pad wear caused by worn out caliper piston seals that cause the pistons to bind and not clamp the rotor evenly. worn out seals make the breaks do werd stuff.

it sounds to me like you may have over heated street pads on a really aggressive stop or series of stops. perhaps a highway off ramp you bombed or something like that.

switching to a more aggressive pad should wear the old pad deposits off the rotors but sometimes rotors need to be resurfaced. its hard to say for sure, but if it was me I would go for more aggressive pad and make sure you bed them according to instructions

the stoptech web site has lots of info and most of it is pretty good.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ferodo 2500, don't think it was the pads

they weren't hot, nor cold .. never happened on the stock system w/ stock pads nor ebc greens
Old 07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hopefully this is your answer

i have brand new alcons from stasis. mine does the same thing from day one. it was not the installation but the fact that the pad is moving in the caliper. i don't know if it is the brand of pad or what. my kit came w/sbs instead of the ferodo 2500. it only occurs on my car when i 1st put the car in reverse or 1st put the car in drive. stasis has told me that the pad has some movement & when it goes from reverse to drive or vice versa, the pad is moving. it doesn't affect my braking but is is annoying to hear the sound. it may go away if i change brands (no sure). have you called stasis? according to stasis, alcon is planning to make a shim to go b/w the caliper & pad to keep this movement from happening.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ya, I've noticed the brake pad movement as well

hmm, perhaps they are related...but your experience sounds like something else. I'm not talking about sound, but the car physically jerking back and forth and not braking correctly at low speeds under certain circumstances. It's only happened to me twice in 7 months.

Thanks for the info about this shim! I'm going to contact stasis about that.

man, the brakes are really awesome otherwise. I heart the quick stops