Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Dire Warning!!! - inspected my SS brake lines and found both front lines are failing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dire Warning!!! - inspected my SS brake lines and found both front lines are failing...

They didn't even last 1 year. The outer shield is cracked at both ends of the line, and the plastic stress relief boots at the connector ends are cracked axially. The DS line has the SS braid fractured clean through down to the teflon tubing on the caliper end. These are Stoptech lines BTW. I know that they usually don't last as long as stock units, but less than 1 year? Give me a break! I suspect 1 of 2 things caused the failure.

1: the outer shell is too stiff of a material and cannot take the extra bending forces that occur in the front (suspension travel + steering). Case in point - the rear lines look fine w/ no cracks on anything.

2: that outer shell material chosen does not stand cold temps. Possible that really cold temps this past winter caused the lines to fracture once moved during normal driving. This scenario doesn't explain why the rears are not damaged, but maybe the extra bending in the front was more than they could handle at the low temp.

The cracked SS braid has me really concerned as the teflon tubing is not strong enough to suppor the pressures w/o the braid. I suspect that the braid failed because the outer shell failed, which caused a high stress point due to the line preferring to flex at the point of fracture.

I just need to dig up who I bought the lines from to see what they can do for me. I at least want my money back for both front a rear units. Not sure if I'd want replacements since I'm afraid of this happening again. If I don't get anywhere with the vendor then a call to Stoptech is in order.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default SS lines should be checked regularly. Doesn't ST use Goodridge lines?

OR do they buy their lines in Taiwan, like their calipers?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

that's why i don't like stoptech stuff