Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

need advice on EBC brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default need advice on EBC brake pads

I'd like to get rid of the OEM pads' brake dust, and to retain OEM brake feel/grab (if possible).
From my past experience with ceramic pads (Akebono, Hawks ceramic, EBC Redstuff) I know that ceramic pads do not grab as well as OEM but produce no visible dust at all. I wonder if anyone used EBC's Greenstuff pads -can anyone comment on how the Greenstuff pads brake and how much dust they produce.

Thank a lot.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I bought these pads to replace my well-working (but very dusty!) Axxis Ultimate brake pads. I had no problems installing them and they have worked very well. They have a nice initial bite when warm (I haven't driven them in the winter yet so I can't say what they'll do on that first stop on a very cold morning) and I feel the car stops with confidence. They're still not the best brakes out there but they're good enough for my daily-driving purposes such that no longer want to upgrade to the big brakes."
courtesy of
EBC,EBC 2, EBC pads
Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running EBC ultimax pads on ultimax slotted rotors on the A6Q and they rock. Low dust, solid bite, zero vibration.

The ultimax pads are the same price as PBR metal masters but way better.

Green stuff is good but overkill unless you drive like a madman and red stuff is for racing.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How's about the Kevlar Yellow Stuff?

A few of the track guys use and have no complaints (other than the expense).
Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I see a lot of recommendations for YellowStuff, without seeming regard for each person's needs. Why don't you begin by explaining what yellowStuff is designed for - why that matches the need, the MOT, Cf etc. There are very few "good" and "bad" pads - mostly trade-offs of noise, dust, heat, bite, wear, cost and compatibility.

Now, this guy is replacing ceramic (very low performance, optimized for low dust) and you suggest a pad your track friends like. Why?

I'm also unconvinced on Cryo rotors. I know nothing bad about them, but i see no reason for them either. Yours are....?

I see a pattern here, but no logic.

Last edited by Just Me; 10-20-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yellow Stuff (Kevlar) DP4836R

I have no affinity to wheel's dusting (mine gets washed weekly) and was looking for a quality rotor that would tend to not to be a problem on a car that enjoys having its legs stretched. Being Kevlar based and not a metal based material, Yellow Stuff is not as abrasive to a rotor and has improved braking potential, along with improved wear potential.

The rotor I decided to give a try is G3500 grade iron, (slotted is a neutral point).
G3500 iron is an improved grade of material (read harder), and less inclined to spotting.

Cryogenic treated rotors have for years been a part of the performance scene and a major
step in the direction of extending the life of a expendable portion the braking system.
Do I have experience with cryo treated rotors.. you bet, they are under my truck and they have lasted years longer than untreated rotors (and the pads are treated too).

The best way to describe cryo treatment is that it is a continuation of the heat treatment process that imparts a change to the base metal.

300Below has a web site that does an excellent job of explaining the process.. check them out.

Anything that can be done to reduce dealing with "judder" comes with the knowledge of how not to abuse brakes and the hope of not running into water and being unlucky enough to have hot rotors. A cryo treated rotor is (more) prone to lasting longer in fending off hardening to the point of becoming troublesome.

I would have loved to have installed the AP Racing Products BBK, but in light of the current investment .. I think I've stepped up to the plate and delivered a braking system that has better performance and that will be longer lived at a reasonable cost.

Remember when polymers were not in favor with the engine builders?
Now, you can't buy a new car without them being somewhere within the engine.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks, btu this doesn't really address my question. Yellowstuff vs the OP's request - which was for a replacement to a low-performance ceramic pad.

I have heard the claims for cryo. You have one positive data point that you like them on your truck.

I'm an engineer and quite familiar with what cryogenic treating is. I have never seen what i would call a solid statistical or scientific study to indicate that it makes a significant difference in automotive rotors. So, back to the OP - if normal rotors can stand up to the track (for me) - i presume they can get you back from the supermarket just fine.

So i'll chaulk up one "like" to each YS and cryo and wait for a bit more data.

What's the MOT for YS? What's its Cf compared to stock (Jurid or textar)?

What's the new rockwell (or similar) spec for the cryo rotors compar4ed to Zimmerman OEMs?

Maybe great. I dont know. Do you?

G
Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I know the problem..

you being an engineer says it all.

I don't need to prove anything to anyone.. especially you.

If a "pad" for typical use is the demand, NAPA is your answer.

Cryogenic processing has been around since the mid 60's and as you claim knowing about the process, should I assume you would know the results.

The problem, along with engineers' (and you are typical) demand for validation concerning demonstrated proven results, does not bear well with this messenger.

After dealing with DuPont and their negative remarks toward the use of Teflon(TM) within the rotating assembly of an internal combustion engine.. Cryo treated rotors are a breeze to validate. (So is cryo treatment of most everything else in an engine).

ZMax (at one time know as Linkite) is another one of those items, that as a customer, I have no problem pouring in an engine. Do I need proof.. no, my test was with a test cell that went around a track in Volusia County, setting a lap record.. proof enough.

I'm in the performance industry and have been for over 50 years.. and I'm not an engineer and was not an engineer when I had the pleasure of working with GM and the Quad 4 record setting closed course record Mr. Foyt established. Engineers asked questions and my answer was the results.

It's the same with Cryogenics and if this is an open forum, it is my pleasure to contribute to this stew of ideas and opinion(s). TAKE THEM OR NOT.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So, basically, you don;t know?

Asking for evidence is unreasonable? DuPont doesnt know much about PTFE? What more is there to say?

Incidentally, NAPA has some very good parts. WIX filters for example.

But you still dont seem to get that a track pad is not necessarily better than a street pad. Its just designed for a different purpose, with different trade offs made. There are superb street pads if you want quiet, low dust and easy on rotors. Just dont get them hot.

You need to prove nothing to me. But if you want me to agree you'll need facts. And until you do i'll caution others about what i view as questionable advice.

And i thought i'd learn something about yellowstuff. Silly me.

Last edited by Just Me; 10-25-2011 at 06:09 PM.