Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Need opinions please on New Pads and Rotors...Alcon 4 pot brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ur-S cars with the lockable rear differential have a proportioning valve

The 95.5 S6 with EDL and 4-channel ABS doesn't have one AFAIK. My 94 S4 has 3-channel ABS, a rear diff. lock instead of EDL, and a proportioning valve.

It is possible I am using the wrong rear piston sizes in the calculator. I am going by what has been published online. Next time I have the rear brakes apart I'll measure them.

In your case, if the rear is getting squirrely due to the brakes, wouldn't the ABS be intervening? Just curious about that.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You have a couple choices for rotors.

1) New rotor set (rotor ring plus hat) from Stasis (~$$900)

2) New Alcon rotor to replace what is in that pic there ($$$, I think a little over $1,000).

3) I have a set of rotor hats for the B-type you can take off my hands and order 2 rotor rings from coleman (~$300 depending if you choose slotted)
Old 07-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Elder Member

Default Re: wouldn't the ABS be intervening?

I don't always succeed, but I try to stay out of ABS on track. I doubt that our ABS systems are designed to handle 40-50 activations in each 30 min track session, and I definitely don't want to be buying a new $$$ ABS pump.

With threshold braking and overcooked rear tires, I can definitely feel the rear end wiggling around a bit, but it's normally not severe enough to activate ABS. The few times that ABS has intervened has probably been when the wiggling became excessive. Anyway, that's my guess as to what's happening.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the SBS ceramic/carbon on my S4 with the Alcon 6 pot and I have been EXTREMELY happy with

with them...I have have had almost zero fade and very consistant pedal feel with the pads. IMO they deserve to be higher on your list....but that is just me
Old 07-29-2005, 07:14 AM
Elder Member

Default Re: the SBS ceramic/carbon

Scandinavian Brake Systems (<a href="http://www.sbs.dk/">SBS</a>) offers three different pad compounds, but my Pad Comparison shows only the Ceramic, a pure street pad they call "Pro Touring". You're the first I know of to use the Ceramic/Carbon, which SBS calls "Pro Track" and is probably a dual use pad. Their third compound is the "Dual Carbon Pro Race", clearly their full race pad.

If you write a paragraph about your experience with the Carbon/Ceramic, I'll add it to the <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/81590.phtml">Pad Comparison</a> :-)
Old 08-03-2005, 01:24 PM
cjk
AudiWorld Senior Member

YGM
Old 08-06-2005, 04:06 PM
cjk
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey Andrew- did you get my email?

Just wanted to know- need some input and response from your post.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 11:38 AM

replied.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Your suggestions did not work for me...

I have that setup on my B5A4 with Brembo racing rotors. I have a used pair of rotors/hats sitting at home and another set on my car (warped). Stasis won't sell me new rotors, stating that they've discontinued that product (had it for less than 2 years when this happened). New Alcon rotor rings won't fit because of different number of bolts used. I don't know if I want to pay $ for Colman stuff. I'm left with only one option - buy a different kit. The Alcon B-type setup was a fantastic setup while it lasted. It's been the most expensive disposible product I've ever purchased.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Order from here:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm">http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Need opinions please on New Pads and Rotors...Alcon 4 pot brakes