Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

pulsing squeak - wraped rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulsing squeak - wraped rotors?

I just upgraded to stainless brake lines all around and swapped my HPS to HP+ on the fronts (HPS on the rear show little wear). Now I've got an pulsing squeak in the front(only at 20mph or lower) when the brakes are up to temp. Are my rotors warped? I don't feel any pulsing on the brake or any vibration in the wheel. The rotors are 3 years old and have seen 3 track events/ 2 autocross. There is some "lipping" on the edges of the rotors.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably not true warpring of the rotors - that is a very rare condition. It's much more likely that you are experienceing brake judder which is caused by an uneven build up of brake pad material on the rotors. This uneven layer results in a "pulsating" feel in the pedal, especially at low speeds and under relatively light braking. It may have been caused when you changed to the HP+ pads on the front - did you follow Hawk's recommendations for brake pad bedding? Also, if you've done track events it's possible that you overheated the brakes, which could have caused the pad material to smear onto teh rotor (I know this from experience!) - the solution is to either resurface the rotors or buy new ones, and be carefiul to properly bed the pads and new rotors. Also, you need to re-bed the pads/rotors before each track event, because under normal driving conditions with relatively cold pads the hard material of high performance brake pads can grind off the layer that was there after your last brake pad bedding. Hope this helps.