Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Review PBR Metal Master VS. Ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review PBR Metal Master VS. Ceramic

Car: 1995 B4 90QM 5sp. 2.8L, 12V V6 with engine mods (approx 200hp), 2Bennett Coilovers, 225/45/17 RE960 A/S PP tires, approx ~3600lbs without me in it. Aggressive driving, occasional track use, lots of heavy hilly applications. Stock MC, stock 10.9"F diameter, 2pot G60 caliper, stock 9.6" rear with stock rotors/pads, ATE super blue.

For the past year I have been running Zimmerman drilled rotors and PBR Metal Master pads in the front. From my experience the PBRs really score the rotors pretty bad, though stopping power is pretty good. Wet and cold braking is excellent compared to stock pads, and they resist heating much better, though I can fade them with consistent use. Pad life is very poor IMHO, and the Zimmermans started cracking and developing high and low spots. Dusting is noticeably less than OE.

Recently: OE Brembo rotors (non-drilled) with PBR Ceramics. Brake in procedure according to stop-tech site, DO NOT FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON BOX!!!! They need a much more aggressive bedding. 2 Sets of 10 60-10 stops @ 80-90% threshold braking with 10 minutes in between sets and after with NO stopping during procedure. First set, poor bite, green fading occurring around the 5th or 6th stop and slowly declining. Second set, first few stops I almost went through the window, AMAZING bite, then again, 6th stop or so green fading but did not continue to worsen.

After bedding, pads retain the best bite I have ever driven on a street pad, they are even excellent cold contrary to popular thought on the matter. Have yet to fade them out, Im sure I can, but takes much more than the MMs to do. They worked fine in light rain, not yet driven in soppy weather. Super constant pedal feel and braking effort, immediate bite with continued constant hold. Very responsive to pedal pressure change. I can not yet comment on dusting or life, but initial impressions are phenomenal.

All in all, I will NEVER run Metal Masters again, I would (from my experiences so far) recommend them). Will also NEVER run Zimmermans on this car as they just don't handle the heating from such a heavy car. Will post up later on dusting, life, and rotor wear.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Elder Member

Thanks for the comprehensive review.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I always appreciate well thought through and written feedback
Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, Just drove 1400 miles in a weekend.....

I do have to say these pads do put off a bit more dust than the MM and OE pads, but bite is still excellent so im ok washing the wheels on a regular basis. Drove through a soppy snow storm and rain with no adverse effects on stopping power. My rear OE set is pretty much done for, so the car dives a bit more with mostly front braking effort. I am putting OE Brembo and ceramics on the rears this week, will follow up with how the car performs with ceramics on all 4 corners. So far their performance seriously outweighs their single downside of heavier dusting. They are also really easy to clean off with regular soap or with a wheel cleaner. Most of it hoses off.

They have started to occasionally squeak very quietly with light pedal at low speeds (2-5mph). Nothing major, and only occasionally. Otherwise very quiet pads.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just did rears last night....

Same bedding procedure. Effectively re-bed fronts at the same time. Stopping effort did improve, though not as much as the fronts. Just confirms that the fronts do most of the work. Less nose-dive than before, little stiffer pedal (prolly from thicker pads too!), and better bite. Car slows down QUICK! I mean 110 to 30 like nothin, and have yet to fade them even with heavy gas-brake-gas-break down a super windy high-speed road.

Im sold, would do again. Dusting is heavy if you wait 2-3k between washing, but if you are more regular than that, no problem.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Review PBR Metal Master VS. Ceramic

Thanks for the review. I was just about to order the PBW ceramics and now I am sure about it. Going to try them with the ECS lightweight two-pice cross drilled and slotted S4 rotors in the front.

Cheers!