Anyone do their own oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POTD hhahah. That was hillarious! I think you just didnt do it right.

Oh man the story is priceless. I have done it many times, no oil spilt, no oil on my hands (well a tiny bit when initially taking the plug out). Here are some tips

1. Get a very large (area and volume) sized bin. It takes the estimating where the oil stream will go out of the equation.

2. Your filter shouldnt be covered in too much oil, if it was installed right. If it does have oil and your strap wrench sucks, just hammer a screwdriver into the side of the filter and losen it that way.

3. Dont put your head under the dripping oil, unless its Oil of Oley or its dripping from some chicks *****.

4. Just remind your Subaru friends how awesome their interiors are! Then laugh to yourself
Old 09-12-2007, 04:45 AM

A 2004 S4...
Old 09-12-2007, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wow, well.. let's just say that you learnet a lot and probably won't repeat the mistakes again...

TO be honest no one is a pro doing your first oil change.. it gets better, before you know it you'll be doing it in 10min flat.. trust me.. that's how I started.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL. "Dont put your head under the dripping oil...unless its dripping from some chicks *****." That

is VALUE, folks!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 AM

Hewj second... this reminds me of the famous boost guage install post. HoF Material
Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 AM

Thats what I was thinking! haha! Carmine... I aim to please!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Uhm... are you serious?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, my "first time DIY" stories are legendary among my friends, a rather dubious distinction...LOL

Never thought to jam a screwdriver into the filter...thanks!

And I do still get in a bit of a mess sometimes, but I no longer spill quarts and quarts of oil all over myself.

My ineptitude with tools is solely restricted to working on cars though - I'm honestly not this bad working on anything else (!!)

I SWEAR this **** only happens when people are watching.

Friends and even strangers will now come out whenever I work on my car just to prime their cameras and cell phones, waiting for something to go horribly wrong.

The oil change mess was spectacular. We were in university at the time, and the house was rented. Unsure of how to deal with such a catastrophic amount of oil everywhere...we simply covered it with sand (I drove the car halfway into the backyard to do the change, and then proceeded to jack the car up on grass...and bury the jack in the mud).

It's the stuff of movies. If there weren't witnesses, I wouldn't even know how to begin to get people to believe me.

Once I decided to show off my new motor swap to my friends (different car), so I left the car in neutral to roll it out of my garage and onto the driveway for better light. Stepped out as it was slowly rolling to admire the beautiful paint job, only to realize there was no one to stop the car from barreling down my driveway...

So I opened the door, desperately hopping on one foot to get back in the accelerating car to grab the ebrake. Couldn't get in, so the car's door pinned me against the end of the garage while my friends, dying from laughing too hard, came and pushed the car off of me.

I now have an award for hitting myself with my own car, with me behind the wheel.

LOL.

Sometimes, when I meet new people..."HEY are YOU the guy who..."

Dammit.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He's just trying to draw AWC into a infinite "Dude Sweetah" loop. What ended up happening with

your car. IIRC, wheels were stolen at a shop. Insurance issues. Can't recall the conclusion.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "I now have an award for hitting myself with my own car, with me behind the wheel." You can't make

this up.

Quick Reply: Anyone do their own oil changes?