B5 S4 head light question - any difference between canadian housing vs american?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 S4 head light question - any difference between canadian housing vs american?

I want to move to HID's. I already have a set of aftermarket HID's.

In order to do the swap, I'm thinking of buying a second set of headlights so I can take my time and do the swap correctly without rushing. My S4 is my daily driver so I don't want the pressure of doing the swap in a night and risk not having it done properly before needing my car the next day.

I am wondering if I should try to buy an american set of headlights since they are HID already and would have the bottoms cut out for the ballasts etc.

There is a set of Canadian headlights for sale locally to me so I can get them if there's no difference.

Anyone with a B5 S4 gone to aftermarket HID's and thought of this possibility?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 AM

Default The housing for the Canadian backing is designed for H7 and the US is D2S bulbs...

Your wiring harness that connects to the bulb doors will be different. The front housing shell and internal projector lense will be the same.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

so if my HID kit uses D2S bulbs with a H7 adaptor I can remove I could us US housings...correct?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Yes but you will have H7 bases probably molded or incorporated into the wiring...

You will not use anything H7 related anymore. If it's some type of setup that can be a straight D2S wiring and base, etc. then you are good to use that.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default if you're going for HIDs try getting a set of Ecode headlights..

The Ecodes have no amber corner reflector. More importantly Ecodes have a different diffuser on low beam that allows more light out onto the road with a much sharper cutoff than the US version or even the CDN halogen version. You also will get city lights inside the housing.
Folks have converted their halogens to HIDs.
I went the route of Ecodes and used the info in AW to deactivate the DRLs put in a relay to run the city lights and have them turn off when the low beams were turned on. The wiring of the actual headlights was plug n play.
The ecodes are outstanding. I have mine aimed so no one flashes me and yet I can see nearly as far on low as with my highs. My high beams fill in the blanks of the coverage.
Do a search for Ecodes, DRLs, Lots of info in the Tech section for DIY.
Hugh
Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Greg having said wiring was plug n play...

it was for my setup but it may not be for whatever your HID system. I know LLTEK's is different. I bought mine from PG performance in B.C. with the HID system already installed in the housing so all I had to do to fire up the lights was Plug n play. The city lights etc took the time and expertise.
Hugh
Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not with aftermarket HID kits...

Most aftermarket HID kits have the ignitor directly behind the D2S bulb. This is ok when using it in an H7 housing (still very tight, but works). In an US HID housing, the projector is longer, and you cannot use most HID kits with these housings, that is, unless you don't car about installing the cover on the back of the headlight.

I've been there, and done this once, then bought the OEM HID ballasts which have the ignitor incorporated into the ballast.