Better mileage with Nitrogen in my tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing up? Nitrogen is an inert gas.

You've got a better chance of blowing up your *** after a night at Taco Bell.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Turbonator moved to Scarborough?

Some times I wonder about you, Chris.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not quite inert, but of course anything that explodes would need

oxygen also which KARMAD has paid to exclude from his tires.

Nitrogen burns just fine (and does so inside every internal combustion engine creating NO that noxious pollutant, particularly in diesels, pun intended) but it wouldn't explode very easily as creating NO or NO2 would not release energy very quickly.

It's not the nitrogen, it's the lack of water in the air that makes the difference. Tires are designed to be filled with oridnary air, using N2 is...well frankly a waste of money for a street car.

As for the alleged lower permeability of "pure" N2 I am sceptical. Fortunately the rest of our atmosphere (when dry) is composed mainly of O2 which as everyone knows is a much bigger molecule than N2. The small amounts of CO2 (also a way bigger molecule than N2) and other even more rare gases (many of which are inert and most of which are also much larger than any N2 molecule I ever saw) would not be more permeable.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Even turbonator should know more than this

N2 is not less "permeable" than O2 it is more so because it is a smaller molecule. neiher O2 nor N2 is particularly permeable. In Canadian cnonditions you need to adjust your tire pressure seasonally so often that permeability of the tire liner is irrelevant anyway.

Water vapour can comfortably reside in just about any atmosphere that it doesn't react with. There is nothing about N2 that could keep water vapour out of it as compared to normal atmosphere.

Manufacturing N2 will extract all the water, but there are cheaper ways of drying air. Running ordinary air through an ordinary compressor (like you use at service stations) will squeeze out most of the water (which is why you see water separators on all compressors).

And those tire manufacturers know all of this and design their tires to run on ordinary air. They already allow for all of these variables caused by using ordinary compressed air and the published pressures they use assume that ordinary air is being used.

Using N2 in a street car is just a complete waste of money unless you are keen on fireproofing the inside of your tires for some reason.