Big difference in WHP and torque numbers between 3rd and 4th gear pulls...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big difference in WHP and torque numbers between 3rd and 4th gear pulls...

Hope once and for all this dispels the belief there aren't any differences between the two gears and that third will provide higher WHP and torque figures...

First I'd like to thank Franz at Diebold Autosport for taking the time to do the testing on his new dyno. It was a learning experience.

Also there is a huge difference in the numbers between a Dynapack and Dyno Dymnamics AWD dynos. The pulls were done in nearly identical weather conditions, close enough anyway not to make a difference IMHO on the outcome. The dyno sessions were done a few days prior to my VIR track event. All pulls were done with fresh VP Racing MS109 race fuel.

Generally from our testing between the two types of dyno, the Dyno Dynamics returned numbers (WHP) that were around 15 to 17% less than the Dynapack depending in which gear the pull was done in.

As a reminder on the Dynapack after the corrections were made due to an error in programming the Dynapack my WHP numbers were approximately 440 WHP in fourth gear and calculated to be approximately 480 WHP in third gear.

The Dyno Dynamics properly calibrated and programmed for my car returned the following numbers at the wheels...

4th gear = 384.5 WHP (55.5 WHP less than the Dynapack).

3rd gear = 410.6 WHP (69.4 WHP less than the Dynapack).

On the Dyno Dynamics the difference between 3rd and 4th gear was still a rather big 26.1 WHP.

Take a look at the dyno graphs for the torque curve and how the gears affect the power delivery, interesting.

Also we wanted to see how the Dyno Dynamics software would work in its "estimated crank HP" setting so we did 3rd and 4th gear pulls for that too and the numbers are very interesting. It turns out to be pretty darn accurate.

Remember that on the engine dyno my car on VP109 returned approximately 520 CHP.

Third gear pull - Actual WHP.

Fourth gear pull - Actual WHP.

Third gear vs fourth gear pull overlay - Actual WHP.

Third gear pull - Estimated CHP.

Fourth gear pull - Estimated CHP.