Calgary Body Shop Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calgary Body Shop Recommendations?

Like nevetS4, my audi was also rear-ended. Just tonight actually, on the commute home, at 17th Ave. & Sirocco Blvd. A pick-up/SUV cut in a couple cars ahead to get around a bus; car in front of me jammed on the brakes, I stopped normally but the two-week old 2005 Mercedes ML500 behind me didn't. Just caught the corner of the bumper. She had more damage than me.

Looks like bumper or bumper-cap needs replacement (gouges that can't be buffed out), plus the bumper shock compressed about an inch so I'd guess that needs replacing too.

Will this be enough $$ that she'll want to go through insurance, or minor enough that she'll probably just cut me a cheque?

Does Audi require you to use a specific shop when the car is under warranty and/or leased?

Any shop recommendations? 3 years ago I took my Z24 to Carstar on Bow Trail and they seemed OK.

TIA.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't let the apperaance fool you, you may have more damage than that...

My advice is to get a body shop estimate ASAP, or even a few from reputable shops, and perhaps even contact the cops to open a case, cuz you may regret it if you don't.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default $1000 is the threshold for a police report,...

so get an estimate. Glenmore uses Cosmos.
Good luck.
Hugh
Old 12-20-2004, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is Cosmos any good? Never heard of them...

I hear Comtemporary in NE is one of the best shop in town, they repair lots of high end cars. But they are expensive though. but since you're not paying for it, who cares! ;-)
Old 12-21-2004, 04:18 AM

Default Contemporary Coachworks does good work...

...typically the insurance company requires you to have an insurance 'estimator' assess the damage - then you'll be likely asked to take it to a body shop. I have some shipping damage to my RS4 front bumper - and will be using Marinello. It comes highly recommended... and specializes in high-end vehicles (BMW, Porshe, Audi, Ferrari etc.). They are just off Edmonton Trail NE.

Too bad about getting rear-ended - that intersection is just keeps getting busier all the time.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, filing a police report is a good idea. You may also want to go through your insurance company

seeing how she was clearly at fault (i.e. let them handle the hassles for you). However I would first confirm that your rates won't go up. Depending on if your auto body shop doesn't have loaner cars, you also should get a rental car.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glenmore was also recomending Concours at one time.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had work done at Concours last year. Great shop.

My 2003 A4 was rear ended last winter and Glenmore recommended Concours. They initially felt that the bumper cap could be repaired but once the cap was removed they found some interior damage and had to replace the entire bumper. The final bill came to about $1200. I would highly recommend them but I don't believe they have courtesy cars. You'll have to get the insurance to cover the cost of a rental.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice folks at Concours, however...

I'm not too impressed with their work. Just before I bought my S4 last year, someone scratched the trunk lid pretty badly, so the previous owner had it repainted. The paint actually matched quite well, couldn't tell it was a repaint, but somehow they left a white line at the bottom edge of the lid, as if they forgot to paint that line there. So this past summer I finally had time, I brought the car there, they took a look and agreed that it was unacceptable, they would warranty their work. I was pleased with their customer service.

When I got the car back a few days later, it looked look. But when I took a close look later that day, I found dirt particles beneath the paint at several locations. It's not too noticeable so I didn't bother going back again.

As usual, YMMV.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Thanks for all the input

Cosmos estimate was just under $800 (repair bumper cover, new bumper shock). Also includes a wheel alignment, as the car now has a vibration above 80 kph.

Also had estimate from Contemporary Coachworks that was indeed more expensive. Interesting that their prices were just about the same except that CC estimates an extra two hours to R&R and refinish the bumper cover.