canadian daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default canadian daytime running lights

Hi guys - second post - the first was an identical one over in the Allroad forum.

I plan to import an Allroad this summer and for the inspection I will need to have some form of light come on when the ignition is turned on. I don't want or need the DRL to work forever, I just need to pass the inspection.

I have searched and found many interesting threads on wiring fogs to work independently from the headlights, but although I've seen the question asked I've not seen it answered. Is there a known procedure for making the foglights, or headlights, or even the parking lights come on when the ignition switch is turned on?

When I imported my Porsche earlier this year I simply jumpered the heated seats fuse terminal to the headlight fuse terminal and easy peasy the lights came on when the key was turned. Once the inspection was done I removed the jumper and now I control the lights with the switch on the dash (imagine that).

Thanks for any help eh.

jasper
Old 06-21-2009, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bear in mind that some Provinces now make DRL's mandatory. Alberta requires that you maintain your DRLs in operating condition. Also ABS brakes have to be fixed if they go on the fritz (who thought that one up? They are s failsafe design and ABS is not mandatory in the first place!).

Of course, my DRLs don't work on my older cars, fuse or relay has been pulled. I like to decide when to switch on the lights.

Isn't DRL controlled in the VAG as well, as long as the car is equipped with the correct lights? Audi favours using the fogs as DRLs.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are so many imported cars here in Vancouver that the cops absolutely wouldn't notice if a car had DRL or not. I see cars all the time running without their lights on.

Personally I *always* drive with my lights on, either my fogs or my xenons, so there is no chance I'd get pulled anyway.

No tips on how to make this work eh? I might just have to experiment a bit and write up a procedure for myself.

hhmm.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4sposeur

Isn't DRL controlled in the VAG as well, as long as the car is equipped with the correct lights? Audi favours using the fogs as DRLs.
Oh right...I just got this. I think in the later models the DRL can be turned on in the cars computer somewhere, but the A6 Allroad cars are old school.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Lane Shark

Answered in ar forum

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23808683