to KO4 or get the B6 S4 ... that is the situation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to KO4 or get the B6 S4 ... that is the situation

Currently wanting to do the full ko4 upgrade from awe, with fuel kit and manifold/dp's. The B5 s4 is an amazing car to mod- but there seems to be to much controversy over tuning/programming out there to make a definitive choice. Quandry- sell the B5 and use the money to get the 04 s4 avant? The B6 has all of a sudden grown on me the past month- it never had before. Anyone else share similar thoughts?
thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mmmm....

Sure there seems to be some discrepencies between various Stage3/K04 kits, however, most of what you read on the S4 forum are just some poeple being picky about tuners' software and hardware, they're trying to understand them and to some degree try to perfect it themselves. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I enjoy their findings. However, unless you track or compete with your car, where you absolutely have to extract every last hp out of the engine, I think any K04 kits would do fine and be fast enough. I also see going to K04's as a preventive maintenance (a very expensive one!) before you actually blow the K03's to eliminate the major weaklink of the 2.7t, so any K04 kits will do in that regards.

The B6 are growing on me too, in particular the avants. But then the lack of tuning options, weight (as if the B5 isn't heavy enough!), increased size (I prefer smaller cars) and fuel consumption, and the hugh price tag really turns me off. Of course the advantage is full warranty and V8 soundtrack!

If you sell you B5 now, I think you still need to fork out nearly $30k to get the new car. And with that money I think you can K04 the B5 with cash spare. I don't know, tough call... In the end it's your choice!

Btw, if you do decide to upgrade to B6, can I call dibs on your bumper?? ;-)
Old 06-20-2004, 01:02 PM

Default I was in the same boat a little while ago....

got some decent $$ into the B5 in mods, really really love the car, but it's just not 'new' anymore. And a B6 avant has really grown on me too. but then I realized I could turbo the B5, throw some new aesthetic mods on it, and still save a bunch of cash left over (versus selling it for peanuts and forking over 80G for the B6)......that what I want. I'm really into cars being all shiny and new, but what matters to me more is customization and uniqueness....even if I got a B6, I'd still have to mod it!! No way I'm willing to make that kind of a financial blunder.

Aman
Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default no kiddin.. what ecu programming are you considering...

if you KO4? Port and polish the rs4 manifold or use awe's custom manifolds? sportec ecu? split d/p's? endless choices...

btw- the engine bay for me creates so much heat that the 50 w spp ballast blew twice. I mounted them on the outside of the housing, but now may mount them on the inside. Most unreliable mod ive done. what phillips HID system did you use and did you mount the ballasts in the housing?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default if the car is sold- you got dibs being in Calgary..

on the bumper. Gotta KO4- want simple smooth reliable ecu programming without boost hiccups or excessive program mapping. How do you like your stasis? I have the tracksports but have to find a reliable installer here in edmonton. May have the dealership install.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Easy, B6 S4!
Old 06-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Xel

Default not

have u driven a k04'd b5 S4 and a B6 S4?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Xel

k04 all the way
Old 06-20-2004, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sweet!

I think APR, AMS and MTM programs are all pretty smooth, whereas GIAC tend to push things a little more (ie. run higher boost).

The Stasis is good! Body roll, dive and squat have been reduced, and the car feels much more neutral than stock. There's still some understeer, but that's to be expected given my relatively mild spring rates setup and the nose-heaviness of the S4. However in tighter corner exits going WOT, I can feel the backend stepping out just a bit, something the stock setup would never do.

At times I wish I had gotten higher spring rates, something like 600f/700r for even better handling, but then my current setup is pretty comfy, firmer than stock but no harsher, probably as firm as I want on ****ty Alberta roads for a daily driver.

What spring rates and valving did you get on your tracksport? Did you buy direct from Stasis? As for install, I believe is's pretty standard, with normal procedures like proper torque specs with the car on the ground and such. There're however, two special things come to mind... In order to be able to adjust the front dampers without taking them out, you need to drill 2 small holes through the shock towers somewhere underneath the plastic cover close to the firewall, and I hope you bought the tool for that adjustments from Stasis cuz it's not included in their kit (cheap and stupid on their part). For the rear damper adjustability, you'll have to cut a horizontal slot into each of the the rear shock towers. I believe you can stick a screwdriver or whatever in there to turn the setting, no special tools required or available for that. As long as they do these things any decent shop should be able to do it, including the dealer, but they'll probably charge quite a bit as it's not a standard job for them. Btw, don't forget to do an alignment and readjust the ride height 2-3 weeks after everything has settled, and don't set anything lower than 25.5" (ground to fence) for optimal suspension travel according to Ryan at Stasis. Good luck with the install and keep us posted on how it and the whole car issue turn out!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Drove a B6 S4 this week end

That's a personal choice. I'd prefer the Recaros, the V8 power, the warranty, the style of the B6... and the list goes on

Quick Reply: to KO4 or get the B6 S4 ... that is the situation