Quesions for people with B6 A4 Ecodes . Given that we have DRLs in Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quesions for people with B6 A4 Ecodes . Given that we have DRLs in Canada...

and the turn signal/corner lights are always on..
1.When you install Ecodes,how does the power get to the city lights? There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on the B6 board. ECS's website says there is minor wiring required.
(On my B5 I ran power from the turn signal assembly to the city lights using a relay that turns off the city light when the headlights are turned on.)
2. turn signal bulbs. Most people switch bulbs from dual filament (which runs DRLs and turn signals)to a single filament bulb that only activates as a turn signal. I think this is done for looks or personal preference only.
Do you have to change out the bulb holder to one that accepts a single filament?
(Again on my B5 I kept the dual filament bulb and wiggled the holder into the socket in the Ecode housing as it's designed for a different bulb holder).
Hugh
Old 03-19-2004, 09:54 AM

Default well

I'm not a techie so I'm not exactly sure how the power gets to the city bulbs. I can tell you that it didn't require anything more than plugging in the new housing as you would the original OEM one.

Also, the ecode housing turn signal bulb holder accepts a single filament bulb without any modification required. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I do not think that a dual filament bulb would work in this spot.

It was literally a plug and play situation for my set.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So the city lights light up when the ignition is turned on?...

or do you have to turn the headlight switch to the first position.Currently, with OEM CDN models the first position doesn't seem to do anything.
Do they turn off when you turn on the headlights ie light switch to second position?

My understanding is that the ecode housing comes without any wiring, just the housing. Wouldn't you just be using the OEM turn signal/running light wiring harness with bulb holder?
I know that was what happend with my B5 and I ended up wiggling the three pronged bracket into a slightly different configuration.
Hugh
Old 03-19-2004, 12:18 PM

Default the city lights work like an additional DRL in conjunction with the fogs

and light up automatically when the ignition is turned on.

You're correct that the housings did not come with any wiring and that the OEM wiring harness is used.

I also confirmed with some of the B6 guys that the ecode turn signal is single filament only.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cool, thanks.