Rear Ended **Rant**

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't that "no-fault insurance" a bit of an oxymoron?

Insurance companies will still assign a % of the fault for each driver involved. But in ttmxp's case, it's not his fault so he should have a 0% assigned to him of course and thus no impact to his insurance cost in the future.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had a similar experience...

Was in a situation where the other guy was unquestionably 100% at fault. Even though he was being a jerk at the scene I tried to give him a break and let him not go through insurance (and because it happened on private property I was a little concerned my insurance company wouldn't waive my deductible).

When I got the estimate for $1600 he went totally crazy and started being a total a-hole, so I said to hell with him and filed a police report and made the insurance claim. I didn't end up having to pay a cent, my rates weren't affected, and I found out later that the other guy was on facility insurance and tried to convince his company that I drove sideways into the back of his car. You can bet that he got hammered by his "specialty" insurance company for a heck of a lot more than $1600 for the experience...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Oh, and don't forget about a rental...

If you need a rental while your car is being fixed, there's very little chance she'll pay for it!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nope! Here's how they do it....

"No fault insurance" is a horribly misleading term...it really refers to how the insurance companies work out claims between them, not to how they assign fault to their clients!

This link is worth a read...it is an outline from the Insurance Act that describes how fault is assigned in various situations.<ul><li><a href="http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900668_e.htm">Insurance Act...know it before you get into an accident!</a></li></ul>
Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just posted about the same thing 2 weeks ago. More inside...

I actually just came back from the Collision center in scarborough (across the street from Independent). Really long wait if you go after work. Anyways, my point is you can report the accident ANYTIME. I got hit on Nov. 23rd and only reported it today, and everything was fine. As long as you don't wait something like 3 weeks, you should be ok. Ideally, when I called and asked, they said you should report within 24-48hrs, but there is no actual cut-off time that they won't allow you to report.

As for insurance, here's how it works for mine:
I'm with TD insurance, and I believe my deductible is something like $500. But I called my insurance company, and asked them anonymously whether or not this would affect my insurance/premiums in anyway if I were to claim it. They categorically said NO. As long as it's completely their fault (ie: you getting rear ended) your insurance will not get affected. As for the deductible, I asked specifically if I had to pay the deductible, and they said that there is NO deductible on collisions that are 100% not your fault. The no fault insurance policy means that you only deal with your own insurance company instead of having to wait for the other pary's insurance to get back to you. In cases like this, you get your money and you car fixed faster. Since it's not your fault, only her insurance should get affected, and therefore you have the upper hand. I know I did.

I got all of my guys info; licence, plate number, address, insurance company, policy # etc. I can onbviously go through insurance without hesitation and he would get nailed with a record and higher premiums. But because I'm a nice guy, I told him that I would get a quote (at my body shop of choice) and give that to him. If he thinks he can afford it, he can pay me the cash up front and no claim will be necesary. If the estimate is too high for him, then I will go through insurance. In the end, the estimate was for $507 at PFAFF Autoworks, and the guy paid me in cash for it.
My advice is to just cover your bases, report the incident, call your insurance co. and clarify your situation with them and then go from there with the air-head that hit you. You don't have to take her crap at all, why should she dictate where you want to get your car fixed?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Xel

report! her fault, she pays 100% of everything no deductible for you!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:59 PM

2nd! I'm constantly amazed at how little people know, about something they pay so much for!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 PM

Good info! Everyone should read this this post before replying to a similar thread in the future.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 PM

Useful link! Should be required reading before adding one's $.02 to threads like this.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Xel

ya, and if she still wants to pay out of her pocket, she can do so through her insurance company =)

Quick Reply: Rear Ended **Rant**