On the topic of Audi's new brand personality - article from TopGear.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the topic of Audi's new brand personality - article from TopGear.com

"Once upon a time Audi was the only choice for a certain sort of driver. The one who wanted to have a top-notch piece of machinery that managed to avoid the sort of negative associations that are normally fitted as standard to anything expensive and German."

<A HREF="http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/106-ringing-the-changes/" target="_blank">Ringing the Changes</A>
Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Journalistic perspective

I have a different perspective especially here in Toronto
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some truth to that but I still find that Audi drivers are less into the image thing

than say a Range Rover or Lexus owner. Mind you, as a group, they (we) are not the enthusiast Audi owner of a decade ago either

I'd be more inclined to say modded 1.8T drivers are what have changed the Audi brand's personality :-)

Tim
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's all my fault?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well I'd say it's not as prevalent here. Regardless, there are positives to be found here:

At least some big-wig at Audi UK is paying attention:

"I was having a drink with an important person at Audi UK a month or so ago and suggested that BMW would always be disadvantaged by the widely held belief that its drivers all needed to be shot.

It was she who sowed the first seed of doubt, shaking her head and begrudgingly admitting that the balance, in the eyes of Audi themselves, is definitely shifting."

While a car company's brand perceptions are heavily influenced by the people that drive them, the manufacturer ultimately has control over how its marketing values are communicated.

Cadillac went from being old, beige and stale to being all rock 'n roll because of this. Styling obviously had a lot to do with it, but I think marketing communications played an equally important role.

I'm optimistic the outcome for Audi will not be the same as BMW's, so long as somebody in Audi is conscious of where the brand may be heading.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry about all the Top Gear posts, but here's a great review on the new RS6:

Those English bastards are writing a lot of articles about Audi these days, and I have done nothing at work today but read them.

"Charging about, you develop a sense of unreality and terrible megalomania...."

LOL.

<A HREF="http://www.topgear.com/drives/A2/B2/roadtests/18/01.html">Link</A>
Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes

No &lt;/Tgr_Clw&gt;
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most people who buy luxury cars buy them for image value more so than performance.

As Audi brand gets more and more successful, it will acquire customers who are "posers" more than enthusiasts. Its normal. Few years ago, if you wanted to "pose" BMW or Benz was your only choice and thats why these brands sold more cars. Now Audi is getting more and more into that territory and I think its great for the brand. Its not an exclusive brand, its a run of a mil MFG for EVERYONE and its success is measured by the number of cars it sells. For now, its also good for us (enthusiasts) because Audi is creating great cars for us to enjoy. I just hope that once/if Audi gets to that number one spot, they don't forget what got them there.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol
Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lol - I have been noticing a significant number of middle-aged female real estate agents in A4s

Quick Reply: On the topic of Audi's new brand personality - article from TopGear.com