winter wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 07:26 PM
KGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter wheels and tires

I am into my first Audi, a 99 A4. i need snows and was told that it may be better to go with a 15" wheel and a higher and narrower tire. any veiws on this and anyone selling wheels and or tires . i am in the Vancouver area. thanks
Old 10-20-2002, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes a thinner tire is better in snow. A higher sidewall doesn't

really doesn't matter (unless you have a big wheel) although it does give you a more comfortable ride on rough snow packed surfaces. Do you need snow tires? Depends if you are driving somewhere which has lots of snow that is not well plowed. If you do alot of highway driving an ice tire might not be a bad idea. If you are driving a quattro and have all season tires you are better off than 90% of the cars on the road. However, if you have summer performance tires don't drive on snow or ice, its dangerous.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Anything < 10C winter tires will out perform all season or performance tires...

It's more about the ambient temp vs snow. Quattro doesn't help you stop or turn in a panic situation. Winter tires have softer compounds to grip the road better.The type of tire you buy: ice vs snow /slush should be based on the conditions you expect to drive in. In AB. I'm on dry roads 90% Black ice and dry snow with very little slush( early Fall and Spring). I use Pilot Alpins but there are many choices as there are folks on this board.
Hugh
Old 10-21-2002, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It depends what your definition of a winter tire is. The tread design of a basic snow tire should

shed snow better than an all season and definitely will shed snow better than a summer performance tire. On ice, a good all season tire probably has better traction/control than a cheap snow tire. My defintion of an ice tire is something along the lines of Blizzak which has a snow tread and soft rubber. These tires hovever don't last long. If you want the best traction/control on ice buy a mid price price snow tire and have them studded (costs around $20/tire I think). Kinda noisy but I've got some friends who swear by studded tires.

As you point out, the choice all depends on the kind and frequency of winter conditions that your likely to face.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree studs would be best but IRCC: if you're in the COTU..

I don't think you can have studs. AB is stud friendly, MB has dates for studded tires like Nov1-Mar30. Don't know about other provinces.
To clarify my commments on Winter tires I'm talking performance tires H rated or better or at least premium level tires like Nokians, Blizzaks, Alpins,etc., which have softer compounds and do last a reasonable time but not as long as a summer tire. Some brands and siping patterns lend themselves to ice and others more to snow or slush. so to KGB: check out Tire Rack for some comparisons and do a search for winter tires and see what others feel. I'm on the fourth winter of my Pilot Alpins and they're great with no obvious signs of wear.
Hugh
Old 10-21-2002, 08:35 PM
KGB

Default Re: Yes a thinner tire is better in snow. A higher sidewall doesn't

thank you all for your input, i have used the Perelli snows on other cars and do like them, my main question was if anyone has used a narrower tire in winter and how they feel on an A4. also does anyone know where out here i can look for used wheels for my car. thanks