Believe it or not being involved in the ACCCC BOD (enough acronyms for ya?) really is enjoyable.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Believe it or not being involved in the ACCCC BOD (enough acronyms for ya?) really is enjoyable.

It really disappoints me, not in the individuals but in the perception, as I see posts about not wanting to get more involved in the club. I view it as an opportunity to get together with some of my best friends to coordinate activities that put smiles on a lot of faces, it's really rewarding. Five or six years ago the autocross season didn't exist, now there are 5 events per year that allow enthusiasts to have a day's worth of fun for a very reasonable cost. Additionally, our members can participate in spring and fall drives, can get onto a couple of tracks each year as well as come out to social events. Probably the most rewarding experience I've had in a long time with this club was our inaugural teen-driving clinic earlier this year.

Knowing how much effort goes into put these things together, it makes it difficult to take seriously the individuals who are anxious to criticize but don't have many solutions. I welcome constructive criticism when done with good intentions, even more I welcome people willing to step up and volunteer to resolve the issues. Thanks to JTW for your offer (and for bringing the perceived lack of transparency to our attention, I had no idea). We're all anxious to improve the club. I can assure everyone that any lack of transparency is not based on anything shady, rather a lack of time or ability from your core group of volunteers.

Years ago I watched Joe S, your chapter's then president, burn out and step away from the role. One of the things I absolutely love about your chapter is that most of us who were around then learned from it and everyone is anxious to jump in and help when needed. I started the wealth management practice earlier this year and had to bow out of the event master roll for Autobahn, Bob and Dave stepped up. Bill had some family health issues a few years back and he was able to fade back for a while and now is back and doing a phenomenal job as chapter president. Mike's job has gotten crazy as of late and he's been able to dial back as others have jumped in. We do it because we want to and because we know any of the others would do it for us.

I would love to see more individuals interested in running for the board. This year we had 7 people interested in 7 spots, I think it's great that everyone who wanted to get involved will have that opportunity. There were times, years ago, that we didn't even have a full board because there weren't enough individuals willing to step up. I'm glad that was a long time ago and I would hate to see us go back that direction.

With that said, I'll get off my soapbox and just remind everyone that this is supposed to be fun... It's very rewarding to see these events come together. At the end of the day, that's why we're doing it, just a bunch of car nuts who still like to get together and play cars.

Happy motoring!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I love you Ken! Remind me to give you a bottle of Gold Bond Blue next time I see you.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As someone who works with ACNA chapters all over America, I can say nobody does a better

job than this chapter.

More organized, more events, more social outings.

Many thanks to all of you are do. Much of all the boards hard work goes unrecognized, as most don't realize the effort you all put in.

Thanks for all the years of service.

Mike S
Old 10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really enjoy being on the BOD

As Ken say saying, I get to hang out with my friends and help to organize everything for the club. I would recommend anyone who was interested to try to get move involved.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just because you're not on the board or maybe don't have the time to run for and be on the board

doesn't mean you can't help in many other ways too. This club always needs volunteers and while not everything can be glamorous, it is still a ton of fun nonetheless.

In as much as I would love to run for the board I simply do not have the time to dedicate the resources I feel are necessary to make a successful run at it. I don't believe in doing anything half assed, as I'm pretty sure most of you don't like to do either but that doesn't mean you can't volunteer your time to stuff envelopes for mailers, help **** cones at auto-x events, show up at ABCC and see how we all interact with each other to realize we really do have each other's backs and in general form permanent life time relationships.

Everyone has a strength they can bring to the table. In my case I was able to help out with sponsorship with TJR and will continue to support the club regardless of my involvement. Do you really think for one minute I have a race team and I need the advertising exposure? It all started out as a joke in order to make shirts, hats, etc.... with the real motive being to help out the club and it's members. It was a way for me to say thank you to the only club that would have me!!

I've run with many clubs around the country and as Mike S. alluded to, this is without a doubt the best run, smoothest and tightly knit group.

If and when my own (real) business ever slows up, I will gladly jump in with both feet and do my damndest to make a change. If you have the time I urge you to get more invloved. Until then you'll have to settle for my money!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Fear the Miata!

uncalled for
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I believe it. At the chapter level, that's largely the way it is.

It is terrific to hear nevertheless. I've been involved in my chapter since its inception and it has been a wonderfully rewarding experience. Each time I attend an event in any capacity I feel like I am being welcomed by family.

Could I trouble you to post what you wrote over on ACNASupport.com? I think it would make a terrific addition and would be a valuable example of what does make this club great.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor

well said Ken.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Happily

I haven't been on that forum b/f, in which area would it be most appropriate? Chapter BOD - Public? Chapter suggestions?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well done sir.....my original post was directed more at the National level as I stated below.

I know all the the Chicago guys are great to be around and put a hell of a lot of effort into making this a very well run club. Please don't take my post below as directed at the ACCCC. It was really more of a comment saying if I would have to deal with the National drama, that would be enough to keep me away.

One of these days maybe all the SLW's will just get on the BOD and really cause a ruckus. :-)

Quick Reply: Believe it or not being involved in the ACCCC BOD (enough acronyms for ya?) really is enjoyable.