Crime mapping

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woah...never realize how much crime is ummmm around me. Minor but seems a lot. Bookmarking.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I work in the River North area

It's interesting how many robberies happen around the court building. Also as you go farther North towards Wrigley Field, there are more cannabis arrests.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Fear the Miata!

remember puff, puff, pass
Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Meh. It seems like a lot of crime but considering the amount of people

that go through these areas the crime rate is probably not any worse than some suburbs. I certainly have never witnessed any crime in the city for the past 8 years. Go figure.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Considering that some of the crime that happens in these areas rarely if ever happens in many

suburbs, it's hard to compare.

Lake Forest, Barrington, Hinsdale and Kenilworth likely write more citations per capita than the Chicago PD does in the city, but that doesn't make the suburbs less safe.

People don't realize that suburban crime is reported at a much higher rate than in the city.

When one comes back to their car and finds a ding on it, or someone tried to break in in the city, many don't even report it. In the suburbs, this is always reported.

When someone hears a gunshot in the the city, does it always get reported? It does in nicer suburbs.

This is why city to city crime statistics don't correlate. What gets reported in Green Bay wouldn't even get reported in Chicago.

You also have to consider which suburb. Big difference between them. I know many I'd let Leslie run at night in, and many I wouldn't. I know similar areas of the city.

Overall, though, the suburbs are safer from crimes, especially violent crime.

Mike s
Old 10-23-2008, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I will be there. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Driving out? Renting a miata? Whatcha doin? You will like it. Stick around for Laguna a month later
Old 10-24-2008, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Flying out exclusively for the event. I have a friend at Stanford. We will share his car.....

A C5 corvette.....the sacrifices I make. 8-)
Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if you live in chicago, check out everyblock.com
Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am simply repeating what I've been told by a few people who I have been close with much

of my life that have great experience in the field of criminal justice, as well as what I learned at my University in CJ classes.

Those whom have I have spoken about this with are:

1) My Grandfather - John Mullen - Ex Chief of Detectives - Chicago PD - 42 years

2) Joe Brenean - Ex Head of the Chicago Office of the FBI

3) Eric Leafblad - ADA Cook County

4) Dan Peteres - ADA - Multnomah County OR

5) Mike Waller - DA - Lake County IL

6) Paul Pomazal - Highland Park Police

7) Eric Senn - Lake County Sheriff

I feel these people know more than I do about crime, so I listen and absord.

Not sure if you know it, but Lake Forest has never had a murder. Many suburbs haven't. They also don't experience much car theft, many gunshots, don't have much gang activity, don't have drugs sold on the corners, don't have many street walking prostitutes, rarely have stores robbed, minimal home burglary, don't really have muggings, etc.

That makes them a bit safer than the vast, vast majority of the City of Chicago. I think my grandfather has a pretty good grasp of Chicago crime.

As for crime statistics, the situation I speak of is commonly known. Reporting is different in different areas, as what is commonplace is different per community.

If someone hears a gunshot in a ritz suburb, they call the police. Hell, 20 people call on the same gunshot. If someone heres a gunshot at North and Orleans, nobody calls as it's so commonplace and everyone A) can't be bothered and B) assumes someone else called it in.

You see someone walking through a bad area of Chicago with a plasma on their shoulder, do you call the police? They do in the suburbs.

No different than the videos of people being assaulted in bad areas and everyone just watches. That doesn't happen in good areas. People might not get involved, but they call the authorities.

No different than even speeding. A car goes through the projects of Chicago at 80mph in a 25 and nobody calls the police. Try that in Barrington, Hinsdale or Winnetka.

Last example: Zurich, Switzerland reportedly has the highest crime rates in Europe. Anyone who lives there or visits commonly knows this is not true. The Swiss simply report every incident they see, upping statistics. What goes unreported in Amsterdam is reported by ten people in Zurich.

As for statistics, it's impossible to gain statistics of unreported crimes. Can't write up numbers on what isn't reported. But the cops and judges know, as they hear about the things people saw and did after the fact in trials, on the street, etc. Knowledge that doesn't make it into a report and therefore isn't put into crime statistics.

You may not get the above or choose to believe it, but most who read it here will.

Besides, I simply replied to a statistic free statement with a statistic free reply. Interesting how I put well known info from the criminal justice world out there and you (alone) challenge it, but you let the initial unfounded assumption go.

Hmmmm. And some wonder why this forum has died off.

Mike S

Quick Reply: Crime mapping