How much should I be expecting to pay for a head gasket job? Anyone know a cheap Audi Mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should I be expecting to pay for a head gasket job? Anyone know a cheap Audi Mechanic?

For some reason my car keeps spitting oil (or gas) into the coolant turning it yellowish-brown. I just replaced the oil cooler but it returned almost immediately. Next step I'm guessing is the head gasket?

or maybe I should just sell it...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Default Im not so sure I'd go with cheap for a head gasket....

Call Al at CPT.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

J & Z Auto Repair, Elk Grove Village,
Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Let's say your oil cooler was your leak....

I am going to assume you drained the coolant and then filled it and now you have the same mess. It needs to be flushed flushed, mostly with chemicals. If your cooler was leaking, they leak internally, causing oil to go in the coolant, which means it's now every where. It's not easy to get out. A machine in this case makes life much easier. You COULD have a bad head gasket, or a cracked head, or anything. But right now you're playing a guessing game. Since a head gasket is not a cheap job, I would take it to someone reputable and have them diagnose it, then go from there. You may only need to get the rest of the crap flushed out. Or you may need the top end removed to figure out what is going on. Either way, even if you decided to do it on your own and bought all the parts and did it, you're not going to be a happy camper if it didn't fix the problem. You've then wasted a bunch of time and money instead of just paying someone the diagnoses to figure it out.
I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but in my 18 years experience I have done plenty of simple fixes for people who were pulling their hair and throwing all sorts of parts at their cars trying to figure out an actual problem. And really, I am only trying to help you, hence why I asked you to post pics before. But before you spend a ton of cash on parts, you might want to think about having someone with experience look at it.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What kind of Audi do you have?